Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having this problem?

I do alot of Highway driving, I can feel every little thing on the road, and I jump all over the place.

I have the stock tires and the bike is 3 months old.

Could it be the tires or shocks

·
MadMac
246 Posts
The first thing I would check if the happened to me on my LT is that I would check my tire pressures for overinflation. Just for grins, I would also check the rear shock setting to make sure that your rear suspension wasn't to stiff for the load. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I have a 2007 Vulcan 900LT and I have not experienced these problems with it.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
34f and 38-40r, original tires (Bridgestones???). I had the shock on next to "stiffest" (don't recall if that was "up" or "down").

I had an '06 LT for four years, and I was always impressed with how well it held a track and didn't drift very far.

Could you explain the problem more in detail? (If the pressure and shock adjustment do not work for you)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
+1 on the tire pressures. If you have the OEM DUnlaps for sure keep the pressures up or you want get any milage out of them. What type of roads? Interstates? Do they have "groved" pavement or alot of the split paved lanes? Expansion joints are a pain.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
My '07 doesn't have any problems with travel or jumping. And I have the stock dunlops. The only time I notice anything is when they groove the pavement for repaving.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I am familiar with the area sort of. I think some of it may be the paving. But I also think pressures are a part of it too. In orlando we have sections that are concrete paved. The lane does not necessarly follow the width of pavement say all the way. So then you end up with joints being in the middle of a lane or if there is an on or off ramp the joint makes a curve thru your lane. I dont know if this is part of what your having or not. Try the tire pressure first. I think my rear shock is either 1 off full stiff or mybe 2 off full stiff.

·
VROC #25645
831 Posts
The wandering/unsteadiness sounds a lot like when I forget to air the tires up and set the shock higher when we load both of us and all our luggage onboard. It's the ONLY time the 900 feels like it is even capable of a speed wobble, and at slow speeds it wants to go **** near anywhere but where I point it... of course, that all disappears when I correct those 2 things. I'm with those who say it's either tires or suspension.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have check the rear shock, it's set in the middle, but it seem to be the front jumping around. My tire pressures is at the manual PSI 28 on the front and 32 on the rear.
I know some people on here are say set the pressures higher. That seems like it would make it worst, but I willl try it.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
...is at the manual PSI 28 on the front and 32 on the rear....
Who you gonna believe...the manual or us? ;)

No one here will give you poor advice, and if one of us does, the others will pounce on him/her pretty quickly. You ask a question and you will often get two completely different answers. But, everyone here wants everyone here to be safe. No one will give you bad advice. It seems that lower tire pressure would allow more contact where the rubber meets the road plus allow a little "give" similar to a shock. But, you should be able to feel the difference almost immediately and it should be an improvement. I had the 900LT for four years (now have 2008 Nomad) and I loved how it held an arc and didn't drift...and I have the same feeling with the Nomad. The occasional heavy gust of wind or one-out-of-twenty 18-wheelers will hit you with a big wind (usually the older, square-looking ones), and that might cause you to drift a foot or two for a split-second while you react to it. But I was impressed how well it handled.

If the pressure doesn't do the trick, get one of your experienced riding buddies (you know some at work, at church, etc.) to come test-ride your bike and see what he thinks.

Keep us up-to-date.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You should put 34-36 in the front and 38-40 in the rear... Your tires are unsafe at those numbers...IMO

I have check the rear shock, it's set in the middle, but it seem to be the front jumping around. My tire pressures is at the manual PSI 28 on the front and 32 on the rear.
I know some people on here are say set the pressures higher. That seems like it would make it worst, but I willl try it.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
To repeat. The Manual is wrong. It seems to have been written by sportbike riders who prime concern is stickiness. At 28 PSI you are more unstable and you are literaly eating your tires. The low tire pressures combined with an even moderatly stiff shock could cause quite a bit of "bouncing around".

Don't feel bad most of us do not learn about the pressure thing until we have burnt a tire in a ridiculouse amount of time and started asking why.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone the tire pressure did the trick. Much better, Now I am getting a smaller windshield because the 900 LT windshield is so big in the wind that thing becomes a sail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like to see over the top of my windshield so in the rain or fog I get a better view. Inse\tead of buying a new shorter one I cut mine down about 2 1/2 to 3 iinches shorter. It's not hard to do, and a whole lot cheaper!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks everyone the tire pressure did the trick. Much better, Now I am getting a smaller windshield because the 900 LT windshield is so big in the wind that thing becomes a sail.
youll get used to that....when i first got mine i thought the same thing, then after i got some miles under my belt on it i hardly even noticed it........

·
UWS DWF
31 Posts
Is anyone having this problem?

I do alot of Highway driving, I can feel every little thing on the road, and I jump all over the place.

I have the stock tires and the bike is 3 months old.

Could it be the tires or shocks
I have a 2010 lt and mine also drifts around on the highway (above 55) my tires are inflated properly and balanced.I feel all the bumps as well. I have just gotten used to it because I just love the bike otherwise. It rides great on the back roads, very nimble and rides great at low speeds also

·
MadMac
246 Posts
Interesting problem that you have there. I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 LT and I have nothing but admiration for the road handling and ride of this motorcycle. I have had many motorcycles in the past and the LT is by far the most precise and comfortable. As for tire pressures, I set them to 36 (rear) and 34 (front) on the stock tires. I might add that the tire wear has been excellent at those pressures. I use the factory shock setting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts