Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting one of these - a 2010 model. My plan is to ride it cross-country at some point, probably at the end of next year. For those of you who own one, how well does it ride on the highway and on long rides? Would you recommend for or against purchasing one for my intended purpose. I had been looking at the 1700 Nomad but after test riding one I determined that it was too much bike for me because of my medical issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,633 Posts
I've never owned a 900 but have ridden with several people who have. They never hesitated to ride long distances once the bike was set up for them. You know: wind shield, lowers, seat, etc., all those personal touches that make it fit for the duty.

·
Vulcan 900 Classic
103 Posts
I put 2300 miles in 6 days on a 900 classic several years ago. As rbentnail said, it was set up for me (mustang seat w/ backrest, windshield, throttle lock, highway bars with pegs, etc.) It wasn't a bad ride at all. Switch positions often to avoid fatigue (feet on pegs, driver floorboards, passenger pegs). I also had a full backpack on the passenger seat which helped me lean back a bit more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had that exact bike, enjoyed it right until I bought my 2018 Voyager. Big +1 on changing out for a Mustang seat. 3 hours in on my first long haul and the stock saddle felt like a torture device. I also added a Barons front pulley, she always felt like it needed an extra gear at highway speeds. Otherwise, tweak the window shield back a little to decrease the buffeting and enjoy. Max day for me was 6.5 hours, only stopped for gas and when the rear (passenger) started whining.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering getting one of these - a 2010 model. My plan is to ride it cross-country at some point, probably at the end of next year. For those of you who own one, how well does it ride on the highway and on long rides? Would you recommend for or against purchasing one for my intended purpose. I had been looking at the 1700 Nomad but after test riding one I determined that it was too much bike for me because of my medical issues.
I have 2011 Voyager ABS 1700 so far i put on it 134+k on it and still ride it like new for a long ride you need a better seat for me I'm 6feet tall that's why the original seat it hurts

·
Super Moderator
10,633 Posts
I have 2011 Voyager ABS 1700 so far i put on it 134+k on it and still ride it like new for a long ride you need a better seat for me I'm 6feet tall that's why the original seat it hurts
Yeah, stock seats are a common complaint across many makes and models. I loved the Mustang one on my 1500 Classic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 with 12,000 miles. I am 62 and I love it for it's ease of handling while riding and backing out of parking spaces, etc. It is reasonably comfortable and can
manage long distances if set up for your comfort. I have the driver's backrest (by Protac), the Baron 34 tooth front pully (makes freeway driving a lot more reasonable), front fork lower wind deflectors (this is one of the most important add-ons to eliminate buffeting on the highway), engine guard with adjustable footpegs, an inexpensive throttle-lock (poor-man's cruise control), cup and phone holders, and a gel seat pad. This bike is about as comfortable as I can get it and I would not be afraid to take some long trips. However, if I planned on criss-crossing the country or using it primarily for long trips, I would get a bigger bike.

·
Keep the rubber side down
335 Posts
I rode mine from Seattle to Nova Scotia and back. I had highway bars and some pegs out on them to give some different positions for the feet. I had locking hardbags, and a large bag on the passenger seat that gave some good back support. Other than that, no windshield, no cruise control, no heated grips, no custom saddle, no reverse, no ABS, no stereo, no suspension preload, no navigation. I was young, so none of that stuff mattered to me. Now that I've got my Vulcan AND a Goldwing... my perspective is a bit different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts