Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These manual signals f'ing suck! I still haven't got in the habit of manually cancelling them so I'm riding around with my turn signal flashing. It's dangerous. I'd rather them be totally manual so when you let off the switch, they stop blinking. Is there any modification the can be done?

Surely I'm not the only one having an issue with this.:frown:

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
You can buy control modules that will give you self cancelling turn signals. Don't recall the name of the company but the product is out there.

I see you're in Clarksville. I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the 101st many years ago and used to go to the mall, what was then a very tiny mall, for weekend entertainment.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
i had a problem at first, and may every great once in awhile, i usually just keep my thumb on the button and turn it off as im turning or if im at a light and get the arrow ill turn it off before i turn.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Turn Signals

These manual signals f'ing suck! I still haven't got in the habit of manually cancelling them so I'm riding around with my turn signal flashing. It's dangerous. I'd rather them be totally manual so when you let off the switch, they stop blinking. Is there any modification the can be done?

I was just like you a year ago with turn signals. After awhile I got used to cancelling my turn signals right after the turn. Sometimes my thumb will just habitually press on the signal to cancel even though I don't have it on :confused: . I guess it will come naturally as you ride more. Most importantly, your presence of mind on the road will save your life. Best of luck, if you modify your turn signal.

Ride safe.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
I had a problem too when I first started on the 900. Always forgot to turn the signal off. Its just about habit now to turn it off. Sometimes I turn it off in the middle of a turn which I think is too soon. I think I left it on once this past riding season.

Lucky...

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There aren't a whole lot of bikes that come stock with self-cancelling signals.
I didn't realize that. Every bike we have at our dealership now has cancelling signals. I figured this was one of the few. It been a month and it's still not habit.

Other than that, I really love this bike.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was just the same way a little over a week ago...I find myself blindly hitting cancel every couple minutes or so whether it is cancelled or not after I am straight..I'm used to it by now.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I just got a little Ninja 250 a few weeks back. I'm using it for commuting and such, but the first few days I was terrible about leaving the blinkers on :shock:

This comes from being spoiled by the Nomad. But now I've gotten into the habit of cancelling em myself and even found myself doing it on the Nad over the weekend :wink:

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
I bought my wife a 02 Vulcan and the previous owner had installed a "vibrator" in the seat. I'm not making this up. The seat vibrates when the blinker is on. Said he bought it on the net, called "Signal reminder." The only problem is the misses never turns off her blinker! :p In lieu of a vibrating seat or timed off device; it will become habit. With time, your muscle memory will automaticaly hit the the button as you leave the turn. Practice.

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
These manual signals f'ing suck! I still haven't got in the habit of manually canceling them so I'm riding around with my turn signal flashing. It's dangerous. I'd rather them be totally manual so when you let off the switch, they stop blinking. Is there any modification the can be done?
Since nobody else is answering the question I'll get to the point: There are two companies that I am aware of that make automatic turn signal cancel units. Both work based on a timer. The logic is that if you are at a stop you are probrably going to have your brakes on. The second you take the brakes off the signal timer starts and counts to a pre-determined amounts of seconds (15 to 30 usually) and then stops the turn signal from flashing. I have had one installed on my 900LT for about 3 months now and use it without thinking.

Here is the best one out there (plug & play installation):
Automatic Turn Signal Cancellers

Safety Electronics For Motorcycles

This in NOT the one I have (I had to cut & splice wires) and I am no way associated with any of these companies. I realized that this was an unsafe way to ride and looked for a solution. A side effect is that with the signal canceller you stop hitting the turn signal button all the time not knowing if your signals are on. You get into that habit and in an emergency when you need to hit the HORN button loud & hard you hit the darn blinker button instead!!!!

Another solution is to wire a beeper to the turn signals. It's a good solution I'm planning to put on as well. This adds sound to the turn signals like every car has:
VTX Tech Knowledgebase - Turn Signal Beeper (eddiecohen)

If you an inexpensive solution then do the $5 beeper option. It works.

Desmond

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I rarely, rarely, forget my signals are on. I have never riden a bike that had auto-cancel signals, so im used to turning them off. I always thought that was part of riding a bike! lol
I watch my speedo quite abit, so I see that signal light flashing too. but i usually have them turned off before i get a chance to see the flasher.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I do have self cancelling on my Meanie and also had it on my last HD. They are easy to use but I might be in the minority here but I prefer Manual canceling signals. I was taught this way many years ago before self cancelling signals....
You do get in the habit of doing it yourself almost without thinking and it means the signals are always under my control. many a time I have put my signals on (early to give others good warning of my intended action) and just before my turnoff the signals turn themselves off. This can be bad to say the least. If it is manual I have full control when they come on and when they come off. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
you might be the only one with such a problem....

i am constantly just hitting the button with my thumb, becomes habit.

i hope you don't always have such a hard time adjusting, that would be a hard way to go through life;)
Same here. I figure the best way for me to deal with it though is to buy a nad.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a problem too when I first started on the 900. Always forgot to turn the signal off. Its just about habit now to turn it off. Sometimes I turn it off in the middle of a turn which I think is too soon. I think I left it on once this past riding season.

Lucky...

Thanks, that helped. I started turning mine off just before I come out of a turn so I won't forget. If I let it go past the turn, I tend to forget. I do feel it will be habit before long.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts