Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had my 600 mile service on my vulcan they did lower the idle speed, it seems to me that its to low it doesnt die at idle but just seems to low, how do it idle it back up, this is my first bike so thanks for the help, also as my luck goes i got a flat and for sure its on the rear theres a nail in there. my question is do i need to buy a new tire or will just replacing the tube be safe
thanks for the help guys this site is great i have learned alot from the posts here

·
Registered
789 Posts
Don't know about the idle but the tube should be able to be repaired and it's been so long since I had tube tires I'm not sure if they patch the inside of the tire with a patch as well but I'm sure that unless severe damage has been done to the tire you will not have to replace it.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
The idle speed screw is in the front recess on the air cleaner housing (right side between the cylinders.

·
Does anyone read these?
173 Posts
The tire should be patched on the inside, AND a new tube installed. Never try to save a tube. Idle adjustment is a black knob near front od air cleaner as mentioned above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can someone post a pic of the idle screw like i said its my first bike and i dont want to mess nothig up, thanks guys also i suppose clockwise would idle up thanks again

·
Registered
649 Posts
My local dealer did the same thing to mine at 600 miles. I'm going to adjust it back up tomorrow.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+1

Everyone wants their bike to sound like a Harley so the dealerships turn the idle down.
It slaps the cam chains around AND reduces oil flow to the top end during idle... more than one user has complained about getting an oil pressure light after lowering their idle.

Spec is 950-1050 RPM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i turned my idle up today about 1/2 a turn sounds alot better and is easier too take off and also it eliminated the gasy smell in my garage when i had it running

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
my idle works its way up over time so I adjust it every once in a while

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does everyone adjust thier idle off of sound alone? All my other bikes (sport bikes) had a tac making the adjustment easy. With my 900 Custom there is no tac so I have no idea what I am running at.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I ballpark it by ear, but do reference the tach.

OHC engines do idle higher than pushrod engines due to oiling requirements of the top end. My dirtbike idles at around 1900.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts