Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that this helps

First you need to locate the oil plug. 17mm. and drain the oil.

You'll need to remove a few things in order to get to the oil filter. 10mm for all

This is what it will look like with every thing removed. The filter can be kinda hard to get off for the first time. Make sure that you lube the seal.

You may need to remove the oil screen. 17mm

This is the order that everything goes.

Put everything back the same way that you took it off. Fill it back up. It took about 3.5 quarts.

It was fairly easy. Took about 1.5 hours. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats what I was looking for thanks, by the way can i use regular full sysnthetic oil for my bike or should I use motorcycle oil from the dealer, thx

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Another thing....
I found a small oil filter wrench made by Channelock.
Cost about 12 bux at your local Home Depot. This wrench was made for those smaller oil filters. The tongs or arms of the wrench are metal and have serrated grippers. Works great on the filter for the 900. You need to go at the filter on an angle though but once you do, off it comes!!!!
It was the only thing that would take the filter off.

Lucky...

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll get a lot of different opinions. I change mine every 2000-2500. I use the 20w-50 valvoline mc oil. I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here are some interesting links with respect to oil filters and oil for motorcycles:

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

There is some other information on these topics as well. Look at the list on the left side of the page for additional links. I thought the filter section was very interesting as well as the statement about "energy conserving" oils. While some material is a little dated it is still some very good information.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Interesting, under the Motorcycle Oil and Filters link, glad my SuperTech is recommended.
Also noticed the other link, Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference, does not show the VN 900's.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
anyone know how aften to do an oil and filter change ? been doing mine every 2000 miles
Hey Ragg Mop, Welcome!
See you are new to the BTK forum and have a 06' 900 Classic LT also.
I change every 3K with Amsoil 10w40; have 22K miles.
BTW, Savannah is a nice city, it's been about 10 years but wifey and I talk about coming back to visit. I liked the shops on the riverfront.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts