Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that this helps

First you need to locate the oil plug. 17mm. and drain the oil.

You'll need to remove a few things in order to get to the oil filter. 10mm for all

This is what it will look like with every thing removed. The filter can be kinda hard to get off for the first time. Make sure that you lube the seal.

You may need to remove the oil screen. 17mm

This is the order that everything goes.

Put everything back the same way that you took it off. Fill it back up. It took about 3.5 quarts.

It was fairly easy. Took about 1.5 hours. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Where in the world comes the oil sceen from ??
I know it from the VN 800 - but from the VN 900 ?????
Please help me out !

Cheers

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Yup... and that IS reversed from the 1500/1600 engine... they have a longer spring, and the screen goes in open end first.
Interesting that Kawi changed the design.

Was the contamination in the screen on the outside or the inside? I'm curious as to the direction of oil flow. In the 1500/1600, the screen sits at the bottom of the sump and seals to the oil pump intake... all contamination is on the outside.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The contamination was all on the outside. There were just a few small specs of metal and plastic(i think).

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Jared, what did you use to get the oil filter off. Doesn't look like there is much room for a wrench. Also, is the oil screen located where you drain the oil? One last question, where did you get the oil filter and oil screen. Thanks, craig

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thx guys that helped a lot !!
Stay upright

Cheers from downunder

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil filter can be a little tricky. I used a homemade devise that will work with all oil filters like a charm. You take a 16'' piece of seatbelt of some other thick, strong type of material and you make a loop with it and attach both ends together. Then you take a 1/2'' square pipe and cut a 3'' slit down one of the sides. You slide you loop of material down the slit. Make sure that it will hold the material. Then all you do is loop the material around any size filter. Roll the tube up tight to the filter to get rid of the extra material. Than you get you ratchet and give in a couple of turns and your done. It comes of really easy and I think that this would be the best way to remove any filter in a tight area. If you want I could post some pics.

The oil screen is located 2 inches in front of the kick stand between the frame and the motor. It's a 17mm. You'll have to lay down to find it. I did not replace my screen. I don't know if that is necessary. I just pulled it out clean off crap, let it dry and put everything back in the way I took it out.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Great how-to post & pix.
would like to see your homebrew strapwrench too!

Thanks for posting that up!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Nice job Jared...with the pictures and all...but 1.5 hours....guess you get faster with repetition. Usually takes me about 30-40 minutes.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nice job Jared...with the pictures and all...but 1.5 hours....guess you get faster with repetition. Usually takes me about 30-40 minutes.
Takes me awhile because I do my 900 like my cages, let all the old oil I can drip out.
Hey Refugio, how many miles you got now? I'm interested on how long the 900's will last.
Jared, good informative thread. I would have never known about the oil screen if I had not seen it here last year a little after buying mine and I had
a few specs of new that would stayed there for thousands of miles.
Kawasakimotorcycle.org is great!

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope that I'll get fast. This was my first oil change on the 900 and only my 3rd on a motorcycle. I learned everything that I need to know for the change on this forum. Thanks everyone.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Yup... and that IS reversed from the 1500/1600 engine... they have a longer spring, and the screen goes in open end first.
Interesting that Kawi changed the design.

Was the contamination in the screen on the outside or the inside? I'm curious as to the direction of oil flow. In the 1500/1600, the screen sits at the bottom of the sump and seals to the oil pump intake... all contamination is on the outside.
there's a screen on my 1500? How do I get to it???? :eek:

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
there's a screen on my 1500? How do I get to it???? :eek:
Well, in case you're not just goofin' with us. It's in about the same location as on the 900. A couple inches to the rear of the kickstand mount on the same side.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Well, in case you're not just goofin' with us. It's in about the same location as on the 900. A couple inches to the rear of the kickstand mount on the same side.
No, totally serious. I had no clue. Is it accessed on the side of the motor, or below? I'm gonna have to take a look tonight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts