Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the vulcan 900 from a private seller and I have not had much time to ride. Too cold. It is an 06 but only had 650 miles on it. I payed 5000 and think that I got a good deal. The one bad part about it is that the one year warranty has ended and the bike is not even broken in. What are the problems that a lot of you that ride the 900 have had. Is there anything in particular that I need to watch out for?

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you paid $5000. I'd say you got a good deal some will say otherwise. I would suggest doing a search but I don't believe there have been many problems reported. I just got my '07'900 Classic 11-10 and have only have 300 mi of ride time. I was hoping for a little better weather than we've been having so I could continue practicing my MSF lessons Perhaps Jan will be dryer. With so little ride time I don't want to lose what skills I've developed I'd like to at least hold what I have till spring. What really kills me is I'm out of work and have plenty of time and when spring comes I'll have work but no time. I'd love to visit my sister in Florida and take the 900 down but I'd need to get a trailer and I'm a bit frugal when I'm not working and I refuse to use plastic.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
Other than the recall on the ECU, I don't believe there are any common issues with the 900 requiring warranty work for most people. Mine was great for the 12 months / 10,000 miles I owned it.

There has been considerable debate on the belt tension, but that's nothing you can't fix on your own if you feel it is too tight.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Agreed, I don't think there are any "known issues" with the 900 other than the ECU recall, strange noises that are almost always normal notwithstanding. Possibly because the model is still only a couple of years old, but us 900 owners are keeping our fingers crossed that our good fortune continues ;)

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Not a "known" issue, but I have an 07 900c that developed an oil leak at around 600 miles. The dealer replaced the seal on the output shaft and that took care of it. No other problems since then.

Congrats on your new ride. You'll feel it get better with each ride once you get upwards of a thousand miles or so.

Winter might be long for you this year!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
The ECU recall was due to stalling on decelleration, and throttle sticking in 3rd gear. There is a thread here somewhere that Tina (A2Rider started about recalls that has the info in it.

You'll love that 900. You got the best color, too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just had my 15K maintenance done and one of the things that were done on the bike was for the valve adjustment. My dealer shop had to order a valve cover gasket, because they stated that the rubber was 'dry rotted'. This may be an isolated incident, but they said that it is common on Goldwings. Other than that, the bike has its scheduled lubrication and safety checks - no other problems.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
I'm liking the sound of no issues! My wife 's got her eye on a 900 this spring maybe!

Cheri is having a little whining noise prob with hers. The dealer has gone throught the engine & they're now suspicious of the tranny. Gonna be real interested to see how she comes out. That sounds like an isolated incident though. Don't think I've heard of anyone else with any major 900 prob's. :biggrin:

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do I need to worry about the recall? It should still be covered even though I did not buy it from a dealer right? Also, I was planning on going ahead and doing the first oil change. I went down to the dealer and asked the kid what they do on the 600 mile maintenace check. He said that they change the oil and then just take a quick look at a few things. I quess the question is what does "things" mean. I figured I could save myself a little cash by doing it myself.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to tell everyone that my new saddlebags came in today. I decided to go with the leatherlyke bags. I have not put them on yet but they look good and I got them for a good deal. $200!!! I will be puting them on this weekend and posting new pics.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
I would think that the recall would be covered no matter who owns it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had that whining noise as well but it was "cycled" and sounded like the belt was rubbing. Took it to the shop three times and they never fixed it, they kept putting silicone spray on it to make it go away and stated everything was to specs. finally I had to get nasty and they took it in the shop. guess what? The adjustment marks were slightly off so when you aligned them to the marks, it was slightly warped. The dealer visually aligned it and now it's perfect. No more whine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I forgot to tell everyone that my new saddlebags came in today. I decided to go with the leatherlyke bags. I have not put them on yet but they look good and I got them for a good deal. $200!!! I will be puting them on this weekend and posting new pics.
Recalls follow the bike. You will be covered if it acts up. You can check your vin no# right on Kawasaki Motorcycles, ATV, Jet Ski Watercraft, Utility Vehicles to see if it is one of th recall bikes. Not all 06s had the problem.

My 900LT came with a 2 year warranty. If I'm not mistaken, so does the custom. You probably have another year or so. Check the vin on Kawi site, and it will also show you when the warranty is up.

D

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
One big problem with "ALL" motorcycles is when they sit in the garage and don't get used. Mine has been sitting for over a month now and it's breaking my heart. Too much snow has it garage bound and me aching to go for a ride..."SIGH"...:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts