Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I tried to start up my 2007 vn900 on xmas morning, to my surprise it did not start. I have not driven the bike since Sept. of 2009 and had been sitting in the garage. The bike has 13k miles on it, and when I hit the start button, you hear, I think the sound of sparking but no turning. I tried this for about 10 mins. and the engine will not turn.

I am guessing it is the battery? Maybe the gas went bad? Maybe it needs the engine oil changed? Is there a battery charger you would recommend? Is the motorcycle battery 6v or 12v?

I would appreciate any help you maybe able to give!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hey Kevin
I would start with the battery. Your bike has a 12 volt system. A lot of people use the Battery Tender it is a trickle charge battery charger and will shut off when the battery reaches full charge and keep it there. If you let the bike sit for more than a couple weeks at a time I would recommend a gas treatment as well. I have heard that the fuel will start to breakdown in as little as 2 or 3 weeks. If you have a volt meter you can check the battery voltage before you try to start it. It should be right at 12 volts or a little higher. then keep the voltmeter connected as you start it and see what the voltage does if it drops to much when you try to crank it, it is definitely your battery put a good charge on it and try again.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Chaso is right - probably a drained battery.

You can't hear the spark - what you are hearing (I think) is the starter solenoid chattering because there isn't enough juice to engage it completely.

You can jump start your bike from a car. The hookup is the same as car-to-car, but don't start the car's engine when you do it to your bike.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Yes, just hook up the connections.

A service tech at my Kawi dealer told be that the output of a car's alternator will overpower the bikes electronics - that's why you don't start the car. Just let the car's more powerful battery take care of things.

BTW - I have had to do this to my 900 in the past week. I hadn't ridden it in a month, and with the very cold weather all I got was clicks. Hooked up the bike's battery to my Outback's battery (with Outback's engine off), and the bike started right up.

·
97 D2 Rider
43 Posts
I would suggest that you purchase a Battery Tender and install leads on your Battery to plug it in easily for the periods of time when you are not going to ride the bike for awhile. I keep my 3 bikes plugged in all the time, so that when I get one out to go for a ride, the battery is up to charge level.

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
I would suggest that you purchase a Battery Tender and install leads on your Battery to plug it in easily for the periods of time when you are not going to ride the bike for awhile. I keep my 3 bikes plugged in all the time, so that when I get one out to go for a ride, the battery is up to charge level.
+100000000000

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Folks,

Thanks, I got my battery tender 2 days ago and I fired the bike up no problem yesterday and prompted took it for a ride! That was a mistake, it was freezing cold with 20+ winds.

Thank you veryone for the help!

Kevin

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,305 Posts
Hey! glad to see you got your problem solved, and GOOD ON YA for making the effort to ride inspite of the conditions,, Spring can not come soon enough ! +24 in south east Washington state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.