Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a problem changing a Vulcan Classic from a no-maintenence battery to a regular servicable battery?

·
Registered
272 Posts
OUCH, the replacement battery cost's $130 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Talk about rape :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I call the parts stores they all have the battery for the 1500 a/c but not for my 1500d. The difference is that the 1500 a/c's use a 16-B battery and mine uses a 16-BS. The only difference I can tell is that the B is a regular servicable battery and the BS is a no maintenance, sealed battery. Of course the other difference is that no one has the BS and those that can order it want $130. Everyone has the B and it costs $40. You can see my motivation to see if I can change over to the B battery!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

minzoo- i think you'll find if the battery is a sealed type from the factory
then that is the recommended replacement.

i know on the 1600 it is,for some reason they state the electrical system is not designed for a servicable battery :?: may have something to do with
the smart box

i use sealed in all my bikes now,i don't like battery leaks anyway :lol:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,
I have another question. I just got this bike and am trying to weed out any additional problems. I just took the bike for about a 15 minute ride and came back and the batteries still almost dead. When I got the bike 2 days ago the battery seemed fine but now it doean't seem to take a charge at all. My question is, if I have an alternator problem, wouldn't it show up in other areas. Like the bike not running at all. When the bike is running, I have plenty of power to light etc. Just seems strange that the battery seems to have a charge when I got it, but now it's not charging at all.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

could be a problem but how is old is the battery?
my experience is that they give absolutely no warning when they crap out
they just die :roll:

if its not very old then i'd check the charging system for voltage output
and see what you have

also do you have any big amp draw goodies on the bike that may be pulling more than the system can replenish? or have you removed it and tried to charge it with portable charger?

the charging system is generally pretty reliable and these probs could just be
a tired battery

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is 7 years old with 3k miles on it. This leads me to believe that the it is the battery. And yes, I have a tripple headlight bar on the front. I should have figured out to leave it off unless I need it. I guess I didn't think id would draw that much, but I guess it does.

Thanks, $130 battery, here I come!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just bought a Yausa (highly rated) replacement sealed battery for my 1500 Vulcan, the same battery that you are looking for at $65.00. Yes there are places (dealer) that will charge you $130 for this batter.

YTX16-BS YUASA - USA SMF 12 16 6.01 3.4 6.13 + - 10.3 $65.08

Here is the online link where I purchased mine.

http://www.batterysales.com/motorcycles.cfm

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bikaholic,
I am having more problems. After your post, I decided to take a ride without the tripple headlights on thinking I don't have enought juice to charge and burn them. After about 10 minutes, the bike started to backfire at higher RPM's. Seems there's not enough juice to fire the plugs at higher RPM's. I didn't know if I was going to get home. Alas, I did. Is it possible that a problem battery could cause there to not be enought power even with the alternator turning? Again, I just got this bike so it's history is in question. Now, I have put about 150 miles on it since I got it. If the alternator was not putting out anything, there is no way that I would have been able to ride that long without the battery going dead.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone out there ever had an alternator go bad on a Vulcan Classic?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call off the dogs! I found the answer to my second problem. The terminals were loose which is why I was posing power while I was riding. At least now I am back to just getting a new battery. I will let you know if that solves it. For $130 the battery should wax my bike!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks Dickwol, I didn't see your post until now. I holding out hope that a place called Battery Warehouse near my house would have an aftermarket battery that would fit the bill. Your post strenghtens my hope. Unfortunately, they are not open on Sunday so I have to wait until Monday morning. I having bike withdrawl!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

minzoo-sounds like you might want to go over the whole bike and check everything
there may be more loose connections-i'd just give her the once over to be sure :wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea,
I believe you're right. Well, I got a new battery this morning. I got an Xtreme XTAX16-BS sealed battery. Guess how much... ...nope, too high! $60. Went to Batteryies Plus http://batteriesplus.com/

Nice store, great service, and under half the price of OEM. Now, lets just hope it fixes all mike bike problems. I guess I'll know in 3 or 4 days!

Thanks for all the info and advice everyone!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK,
I put a voltmeter on the Vulcan and it's getting 14+ volts so hopefully all will be well. Thanks again everyone for the help!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey "minnz003"..
Most problems as I have finally learned.. are Bad
Grounds.. although I ride an 08 900LT, I've had
many problems with the battery since New..
what I finally did was place a "STAR" washer under
the negative side of battery terminal.. you'll need
something to hold up nut at bottom to start bolt
since it's short.. But Hey - that finally solved
My problem.. and Battery was NEW!
(BS-sealed-AGM battery)
Keep it vertical, MrLee

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Umm......

This thread is almost 4 years old :wink: