Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am new to this forum.
I have recently purchased a Vulcan Nomad classic 2001. Its a beautiful bike and I always look forward to another ride.
The problem is she is very clunky on the gears changes once it has warmed up. Its ok when starting out and still cold.
Sometimes sitting at the lights idling in neutral i cannot get it into first gear without a massive clunk,
Is like the clutch is not working at all. But the bike doesn't creep when in gear. I have tried fully synthetic and fully mineral oils. I also purchased a new set of friction plates and diaphragm spring for the clutch, but only to find out that the old set was exactly the same thickness as the new ones. (no wear)
I have changed the clutch fluid and made sure the small holes in the reservoir where clear.

Anyone have any ideas why the gear syncro would start to grind after the bike gets hot?
Cheers
GG

·
Super Moderator
10,810 Posts
Motorcycle transmissions are a goofy animal. I had pretty good success when going from neutral to first by double clutching- pull in lever, wait a second, release about 1/2 way, pull in, go to first. That helped some but pretty much every bike I've ever owned has not been real smooth going to first. CLUNK!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah righto, thanks for the reply. Yeah CLUNK is right.. So it might just be normal.
It seems pretty smooth for the first half hour or so when she is still cold.. Must be the oil thinning out a bit when hot.
Yes it does kind of remind me of an old truck that doesn't have the syncromeshing gears and needs double clutching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts