Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, I put in some of that GM red antifreeze (DexCool?) one day cuz I had nothing else to fill up the resivoir with (it was bone dry and I was in a hurry). I just found heard that when the red antifreeze and green antifreeze combine, it forms a sludge in the engine...

I need to flush the coolant on my Vulcan 750 asap. Where is the drain plug? What are the steps to doing this on a motorcycle? This is my first water cooled bike, lol

Thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I know that JOEY is busy...

Joey is a busy guy but in this situation PM (Personal Message) him or even call the shop in you area for faster service. I wouldn't think that it would make a sludge...none-the-less, you need to flush and fill. I'd actually check out the radiator cap real good with a lens to see if the rubber is cracked,,,if you can't find a reason for the resiviour being empty, I'd let the shop flush fill and have them do a pressure test to see where the water is going...hopefully it's not a hose just a cap, or a long time since being checked...Let us know on the forum...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, I couldn't find the radiator fill cap. I took off some plastic pieces from in front of the gas tank and I finally found it. I flushed the radiator with distilled water and dumped all the water from the resivoir. I only got about a liter of coolant out of the radiator and the book says the coolant capacity is 1.5 liters. I guess its 1.5 counting all the coolant passages through the engine right?

I still need to get it pressure tested.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WELL

If you have flushed it out and now have antifreeze in it...check the cap real good for any cracks...if you don't find any then put it on and watch things closely for a while...you may have found it in time to have saved it!!! Let us know!!! FOr now I' just ride it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope there's nothing wrong with it. It only has about 1600 miles on it and I got it in November of last year. I'm gonna take it to the dealer if anything fishy comes up.

I think the dealer may have underfilled the system when they serviced it at 550 miles.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Checklist

Yeah, since the cap was off, and they just don't fall off, I'd look around for other things as well, especially after you have had it i for service. Sometimes a phone call, or someone asking or needing help will interupt you and you just "Forget", to tighten something...best thing to do when you get it back is to do a once over and then do a thourough one once you get home...I would be specific about the tire pressure that yo want. the book calls for the average person with the average load (once again Average raises its ugly head) if you weigh less than or more than then 1/2 to evena pound of pressure difference may be in order...I'm not a technician and I don't work for a bike company, but I know that for a car on an autocross track it's not hard to see the difference in times in black and white,,,even in stock cars...if you really want to see how your tires are wearing on your car draw three white chalk marks on your tires then drive normal around for half a day. if you are scrubbing the sidewalls you need more air, if the sidewalls are nice and the chalk marks look like where thy should be they're probably right, if not scuffing then they may be over-inflated...and that is not a bad thing for a cart,,,especially if you are concerned about fuel economy...on a bike it is a little different though...check the drain plug, the airbox, valve caps on teh valve stems, chain tension, oil level, chain should be well oiled...you know...AS soon as you ca afford it go to the store or on-line and buy LED's. They are brighter, draw less current,are resistant to vibration and if you lose one you aren't without lights...as you would be with a fillament bulb.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RIDE!!!

I'd just ride it for a while and watch things closely for a while...sonds like you did what you should have...Average means nothing in my book...the average weight of a rider, the average life of an oil filter, spark plug...all thes are based on what the industry or someone decides to fill in the blank with. Common sense and experience...knowledge...these are the key items...you na dI wouldn't use the same tire pressure in your bike or even the same shock settings...we would load the motor different and drive the bike different...I believe that the air pressure is to low on most bikes...but that is open to what bikes and what size rider that I am...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts