Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well just prior purchasing my 3rd new Vulcan i have owned new , i once again had $$ to pay cash for it . each time i'd go to the local HD dealer & check out their offerings , nice bikes the HD's plenty of chrome on display etc etc . but when i looked @ the price tag , i just cant get around to hand over my hard earned $$ . i aint borrowing / loaning the $$ , i am paying cash . its easy to spend another $10k over the cost of a Vulcan's new price when your borrowing the $$ . the salesman will say for another $50 a week you can have a HD over a Vulcan , but when your laying down CASH$$ its a big increase in price $ to pay . so i looked @ the HD's 'again' & thought about it 'again' do i buy a HD ? , but then i go & look @ new Vulcans & think the Vulcans are a great looking & very well built cruiser's . the descion was easy once again , i purchased me a new Vulcan & i have never regreted it . :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I will get a used HD one day probeably.........but now way in hell will I run off of with something that cost $18k(in US funny $$) and will loose $4k off the showroom floor unless I plan on keeping it until I go toes up.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Hey M1-
So true. When it's your own skin being slapped on the table, the price gets real in a hurry. Particularly if you figure how much pre-tax income you had to pile up to get the sheckels/rubels/pesos to pay for your scoot..
Riding free and clear is all good, no matter what the emblem on the tank says.

Hope you love the new ride- where's da pix?

·
OPEN ROAD IS CALLING
131 Posts
Hey Mean 1
I Am With You All The Way! You Would Also Give Uncle
Sam More If You Bought A Harley. I Love My 05 1500 Classic
And Am Considering Adding A Sport Tour To The Stable.
2 Bikes For The Price Of One Fat Boy. Can`t Beat That.
I Have Ridden A Honda St1300, Can`t Stop Thinking About
Getting One, But I Won`t Give Up The Classic.
Thinks Spring!
Kurt

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Why are you not including Victory in this?
I personally like the look, styling and feel of Victory better then HD and if I could afford it, I would be getting Vicotry Vegas Low vice the Vulcan. (Sorry Kawi)

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Mean1,
From your previous rants about HD, I have my doubts that you ever really considered buying one in the first place.
Hey Larry, do some research... He has said many times that he has nothing against Harleys. Sheesh.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
I have to agree with MEAN1 on this one I can only justify in my mind paying X amount for a bike regardless of who makes it. I've rode with people who have several makes of bikes they all made it from point A to point B regardless of the brand or cost. I buy based on what I like and what bike gives me the most bank for the buck. I just don't think Harley or a Victory for that matter you that much more bank for your buck over the other brands in my mind anyways.

Now if you go purely on Brand recognition and what's the "in thing" you have to go with a Harley. Pull someone off the street that knows little to nothing about bikes and they'll think most V-twins are Harley's.

-JMO

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a call only you can make. HD makes some real nice stuff, no doubt. I had the chance to ride a Road King a few years back during a Motor Officers Course. I came away wanting one bad, until I started checking the price tag. At the time my street ride was a KTM 950 Super Moto. I decided that my first crusier would be metric, you get much more for your money IMO. Maybe when I retire the road king will be in the stable... for now I'm very happy to be on the short list for a V2K.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
It's a call only you can make. HD makes some real nice stuff, no doubt. I had the chance to ride a Road King a few years back during a Motor Officers Course. I came away wanting one bad, until I started checking the price tag. At the time my street ride was a KTM 950 Super Moto. I decided that my first crusier would be metric, you get much more for your money IMO. Maybe when I retire the road king will be in the stable... for now I'm very happy to be on the short list for a V2K.
When I went through police motor school we asked the instructors what happened to the bikes we used. He said that HD sold them to dealers, and the dealers in turn sold them as used. After what we did to those bikes, I wouldn't every buy one unless it was VERY cheap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Larry, do some research... He has said many times that he has nothing against Harleys. Sheesh.
Really?
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/37582-hds-screaming-turkey.html

From Mean1
**** right it is , exactly the bike i paid for a mighty "Vulcan" , not a pathetic excuse for a motorcycle a HD is .. seem's there is quite a few closet HD lover's here . we are on Vulcan ground here , tread lightly .
There's a whole lot more where that came from. Mean1 has been the biggest Harley-basher on this forum.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think it's really all about whether you think they are worth what you have to pay and if you have the money. You know you'll lose if you ever have to sell it. You just don't lose as much with the vulcans.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
a guy i work with just dropped almost 40k on a new HD... insane... even the guys at my work who ride HD (nearly all but 3) just shake their heads at him....

if you got it spend it i guess...:shock:

I myself am like Mean 1... i paid for my bike straight and dont tend to buy things unless i can BUY them. Im sure as i get older and want a new car that might change. Though my current ride is a 2001 and that might me new enough... i have a hard time eating that depreciation as soon as i drive off the lot.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Really?
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/37582-hds-screaming-turkey.html

From Mean1

There's a whole lot more where that came from. Mean1 has been the biggest Harley-basher on this forum.
This is off track of this post (I'm sorry) but I was scrolling through that other post and read this and it made me laugh:

People buy SE Harleys for the same reason some buy Porsches. Exclusivity. Heck, I know some american cars that can blow the doors off of a Ferrari or plenty other exoticars at a fraction of the price. But they still sell Ferraris. No? Look at Ducatis. A ZX10 as more performance the a Ducati but people buy italian bikes for the prestige. Not necesarely because of better performance.
Go to any bike rally and count the number of Harleys vs. all the other bikes added together. It's like everybody has one. How exclusive are they really? :lol:
People buy Harleys for many reasons, but if they purchase one because it's 100% All American, exclusive, "outlaw," and on the edge, they are in for a rude awakening. Most owners of newer Harleys seem to fall into two categories these days: those who have enough disposable income to afford them, and those who stole 'em.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most owners of newer Harleys seem to fall into two categories these days: those who have enough disposable income to afford them, and those who stole 'em.
According to your sig you have two fairly new bikes. So which of the categories would you fall into?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ultimately, I'll have an HD Electra Glide Classic for touring (unless Kawi get's their crap together and builds a 1600/V2K TRUE touring package), and probably a Street Bob for the wife.

The 1600 isn't going anywhere though... I love the bike, and I'm really not happy with a lot of the mods that I've had to do to make it practical for 2-up touring. It'll be stripped back down to what it was a little over a year ago and used for local canyon carving.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts