Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently removed my front wheel to get the fender vinyl wrapped. The removal was pretty straight forward, remove brake caliper, loosen the tension bolt on the front fork, remove axle and done. During the removal I must have hit the front brakes. I didn't think anything of it. The bike is relatively new however, I noticed that the brake caliper didn't release. I have it zip tied to my crash bars so it isn't hanging from the line. The bike does have ABS so I'm not sure if that may be causing an issue since there is no rotor to grab. Any tips for releasing the caliper so I can put the wheel back on?

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
They sell special tools for pressing the pads back far enough so they will fit the rotor but if you are careful you can do this with a couple of large screwdrivers, or some hardwood wedges. Disclaimer: I don't think ABS will stop this method, but I have never tried on an ABS system.

Applying gentle pressure to separate the pads will slowly push the fluid back into the master cylinder. Do not go farther than needed or you might overflow your reservoir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to separate the pads with a Lego tool. I figured if it can separate Lego pieces it can separate brake pads lol. Worked pretty well. It's plastic so it didn't damage the pads at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,133 Posts
I said the same thing and used my wife's oven to bake some motorcycle parts. Unfortunately the smell hung around too long and I got caught. She was NOT impressed. So now I keep a little toaster oven in the garage. 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts