Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a KZ400 25 years ago. Collegue has 1500 FI. Very happy with it. Would like to return to the saddle. 1600 is nice. 1500 equally fine. If you were looking to drop $10-$11k on a new bike, which one would you go for?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Like you, I returned to riding after a 25 year lay off. This was 2 yrs ago, can't speak for you but in my case I would say that after that long a break you should assume that you've never been on a bike before.

Because I'm 6'2" and over two hundred pounds everybody suggested that I buy a 1500 but a little voice told me to take it easy ( wife ). I took lessons and am very glad I did because I know that if I hadn't been on a rebel 250 I would have dropped the bike several times during my lessons. And if I would have been it the same situation with a brand new 1500 I probably would have been too distracted by the fear of scratching the bike to relearn to ride correctly.

So my advice is take MSF, buy a used bike for first season, preferably smaller. Then for your next season you can opt for whatever bike you choose. After my course I bought a used Honda VLX 600 for the first season and had a blast on it, I'm now riding an 800 and have put over 12,000 miles on it this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Decisions, decisions...

Hi lyter, welcome to this new forum for people who are Kwackers!

If you want to ride Homer style (Harley Davidson - Homer Simpson), ie. wide, slow and lazy don't get a meanie, get another in the range. If you want to ride and have some serious fun, the meanie is the dogs boll*#ks. I've ridden for 26 years with only a couple off. This is the best combination of cruiser and sports bike characteristics I have ever come across.

I used to race Yamaha RD250LCs in the 1980’s and I thought nothing would ever capture that seat of the pants yet forgiving feeling. I was about to retire gracefully from biking after riding the previous best combination, the Suzuki GT750 but a friendly dealer said ‘this bike was made for you’ and he was right, the mean streak is. It is just so comfortable, yet amazingly agile and quick. The power pulling away at any speed and the understated rasp of the stock pipes are awesome. The 1,600 is little different, just newer and Kawa have ironed out some of the problems with the 1,500.

If you can afford it, I would get a cheap 1,500 and get used to the handling and power (particularly the brakes) then move onto a new one you feel confident on and look after.

My philosophy differs slightly from Bob’s. If you want to have a big bike, start off where you mean to. If you put up with a small one it is unlikely you will ever move up and you will really be missing something. The meanie, if ridden how it is meant to be, is the sweetest bike I have ever ridden (out of around 200+).

This is the best review I've found for the mean streak http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2003reviews/review55.htm

There are a lot of owners out there - this is the most used forum
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/MeanStreak/

But come back here! Because those Yahoo guys are more Homer than Meanie!

Si/ Joe90

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ladies and gentlemen joe90 :lol: my stealers salesman were'nt that good :lol:
but i agree with him- meanie is very badd a$$,if i ever sold my sporty that is what i would replace it with - just keep this in mind: sit on several bikes,ride a couple,don't get something to ride that is beyond your abilities,consider how you'll use it (long hauls.short jaunts,etc.)
just make sure its a kawi :lol: :wink:

·
Proud Owner Of This Forum & Beartooth Kawasaki
2,735 Posts
The new 1600 Mean is the way to go I have three of them on the way and the price is way good for what you get, pipe it and you won't believe the looks you will get from the Harley guys! 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Classic 1600 vs MeanStreak!!

I currently own a Vulcan VN 750 y '94 which has served me well. Now I really like to "upgrade" to something bigger and only another Vulcan is of interest to me. I would very much appreaciate it if somebody could tell me about the "real" difference between the Classic 1600 and the MeanStreak. Somehow I haven't been able to figure out why the Mean is more expensive nor do I know if I should choose the 1600 just because it's less expensive? Is anyone of you familiar with the two bikes? I've come accross some 1600 on ebay year 2003 which are really good buys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry lyter, ask a biker a simple question…!

The 1,600 is a new engine developed from the meanie. Detuned as the bike is for super smooth cruising rather than fast and furious. Seating position and look is more classic cruiser than heavy muther with attitude.

Mainly, the mean streak has a lot of expensive kit to make it go faster and handle better at speed and fast cornering - specially designed upside down forks, expensive lightweight components for wheels, engine block, competition brakes etc. Basically, less is more and if you don’t feel you need this kit to ride faster, get the classic. It’s essentially a brand new bike and the new mean streak will be developed from it next.

The best advice on this board is to try both of them (at your local dealer). Si.

·
Registered
4 Posts
100 Classic

Joe90,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It did help me a lot since I'm new in this buisness. I am actually quite taken with the 1600 Classic and I think I'll buy one as soon as I'll come accross one. And after I've sold me 750. 8)

I totally agree with you that the best thing would be to try the bikes at the local dealer. :D The problem is that we don't have this here in Iceland where I live. The dealer doesn't stock any bikes and even though he would, it's not possible to testdrive. This is due to insurance matters which are very strict. So usually one has to make up ones mind, order the bike, pay some deposit and wait untill the dealer has the bike from abroad. :cry: The best option for us over here is to buy directly from the US.... unseen and trust the seller. At eBay I think one is pretty safe. Besides the rate of kronur to dollar is pretty good at the moment :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
well like the thread says.....decisions, desisions....
my wife has been rideing my 800 and she really likes it.yesterday we went out to dinner on the bikes and she casually says "when you get a new bike i will keep your 800"
problem is her 500ltd is brand new (2004) with 600 mi on it and i'm gunna take a big hit on it....question is do i trade it for a new mean streak (big hit) or do i try to sell it on my own ....lesser of a hit but maybe takes a while to sell. also any guesses on the diffrence between a trade in and owner sale? if its only 600-800 bucks just get it over with......
what am i complaining about.....my wife loves to ride! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decisions

Go for a Vulcan 800. It's the perfect fit for most any rider. Mine is everything I've been looking for in a bike, handling, speed, looks and now that I've modified the muffler, the sound is perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried both and loved both bikes. If I were single or planned on riding solo most of the time, I would get the Meanie. Since my wife rides with me a lot, I got the 1600 classic. It's a great bike for cruising. I only have about 50 miles on it but can tell it's just what I expected.(and more)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
mbrubin

The trade in value an a 2004 ltd should be around 2,800us you could get maybe a couple hundred more if you sell it privately.

Konsi

What's it like riding in Iceland ? What's the weather like ? Doesn't sound like you'd be able to ride year long, what do you consider a heat wave ?.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

good choice - your gonna be pleased and will get lots o miles of trouble free service :wink:

congrats and ride safe!! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
greenerock said:
I tried both and loved both bikes. If I were single or planned on riding solo most of the time, I would get the Meanie. Since my wife rides with me a lot, I got the 1600 classic. It's a great bike for cruising. I only have about 50 miles on it but can tell it's just what I expected.(and more)

I plan on getting a 1600 soon and selling my 700

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jax said:
greenerock said:

I plan on getting a 1600 soon and selling my 700

CORRECTION

since I posted that I DID buy a 1600 Classic

I love my new baby The Black Pearl

VN700 for sale soon

·
Registered
33 Posts
Konsi,
I bought a 1600 classic last year after having owned a 1500 classic about 10 years ago. I think the 1600 offers a supremely comfortable ride and provides more than enough power at all ranges. I think you'll find that it's just stretched out a little more but definitely take a look at the handlebars as they tend to make you reach out for them. This may cause you some shoulder aching after a few miles. I put on Phat II risers that pulled the handlebars in closer to me so the reach was much more comfortable. Check the showsrooms for a 2005 1600cc that may not have sold. I waited until the end of summer and paid $1500 less for my bike. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts