Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a question and would value the opinions of the folks who post here. I purchased a new Vulcan 900 Classic. When I bought the bike my wife told me she did not want anything to do with it and would not ride with me. To make a long story short today she ask if I would take her "around the subdivision". Well nearly 2 hours later and many miles of highway and back roads later, I may have a problem. She had such a great time that what I thought would be a 15 minute shot ended up being much more. Now the problem. The 900's manual seems to indicate a max load of 397 pounds. Together with helmets an jackets we are near 500 pounds. See the problem:eek: , how badly will I shorten the life of this bike if we ride two up?:frown: It didn't seem to have any trouble with acceleration or braking today. As expected the MPG dropped a little. I suppose that I could go back to the dealer and see how badly I will get beat down on trading a bike with 1000 miles that I've had for three months. (lol)

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Adjust the rear shock to handle the added load, and maybe up the psi in the ties a bit. But the bike should ba A-Ok to handle it. Everyone know Vulcan's are reliable workhorses.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Just about every bike out there has about a rated 400 lb weight limit, even the biggest ones. The question is are you happy with the performance?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Goldwing's aren't rated for much more than 450 lbs, I haven't called my dad to get the exact number, but even the Rune is only rated for 250 lbs? it must be a tire related overloading issue or some liability thing corporate lawyers have the manufactures put in the manual, if the bike doesn't bottom out every time you hit a bump, and has enough power to get you off the line I wouldn't worry about it to much, unless you're going cross-country for a couple thousand miles. BB

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Biggest thing is get your rear shock adjusted up to 7 before the 2 of you ride. I adjust mine from a solo setting of 5 to a 2 up setting of 6 when I ride.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The wife and I ride 2 up all the time with our 900LT without any problems. You should be fine.
Almost 15K w/lots of 2-up @ ~420 for teh both of us, don't sweat it, I think it has more to do with legality and our sue-happy litigious society.

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Just a short note to thank all of you who responded to my inquiry. We have been riding at every opportunity and I'm happy with performance of the bike. Your comments helped a lot and have put my mind at ease on this issue. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts