Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Break in 600 miles question (was Vulcan Octane question)

Because my octane question was a FAQ I have a new question please add your thoughts.

I am going in for my 600 mile check tomorrow (right around 550 miles now) The last 50-75 miles or so I have noticed a very slight "roughness" in my bike. So slight I'm not sure if it is my imagination...getting used to the power and no longer intimidated in the least (I am back in the saddle again after 25 years) so I notice things more...etc.

Someone here recently made vague reference to a smoothness that comes after the 1st oil change and inspection/tweak. True? Details? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Tons of threads already posted on this....I run 87 octane and it runs fine.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tons? I went back 2 weeks and finally found ONE thread where this was the topic.

There may have been discussion buried in other threads about other topics...

(deleted)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Gotta use the search, but there really are a lot of them.

As a summary, a lot of people run 87 with no problems, a lot run mid grade, a lot run premium. Just do what you're comfortable with.

I always run premium in both my bikes, largely because we share pumps when we ride and just trade off who pays...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
You're stuck now! Mwahaha!

Some people around here wil realy get on you about it, but I never really mind a reposted question, you generally get new information out of it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm actually testing all different octanes now to see if any give me less popping on decel. I used high test first for a long time, then the dealer told me I was wasting money. I went to the middle grade, and didn't notice a difference in performance. I'm going to try the low grade starting next week for a couple of tanks.

D

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
You're stuck now! Mwahaha!

Some people around here wil realy get on you about it, but I never really mind a reposted question, you generally get new information out of it.
+1

a lot of times new members come in with different or updated knowledge and never bother to seek out questions to help answer thru the search method (why would they really) so i find nothing wrong with reposting, at the very least someone will tell you to search it...

i run premium, partly b/c my nissan calls for it and im use to it, and i just bought a new bike, why not run the best? its a couple cents difference in that small of a tank.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
There is no advantage to high octane gas if your engine doesn't require it in order to avoid knock. Do what I did, try a tank of mid grade. Still no knock? Try some regular. I've had no knock with regular and so I've stuck with it.

·
Love to Ride!
949 Posts
I've run 87, 89, & 91 octanes in my 900 LT and have noticed no difference with any of them. I get the same mileage, and the same pop on decel no matter what octane I run. So save yourself some pennys and run the 87.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Owners Manual said the 900 Engine is designed to run on 87. I personally ran high grade for the first 12000 miles or so, then switched to the mid grade and see no difference what so ever.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I think the OM is actually a big source of the confusion. The way it has it listed isn't very clear to say the least. There is a table that says use 87 minimum, but the verbage says to use 91. Throw in RON vs R+M/2 and it's easy to see why folks are confused ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've used 87 since day one. No pings, even when I lug the thing. Mileage is about 50 mpg so I wouldn't hope for any more.

Higher octane is not "better" than lower octane, just different. Some engines engineered for 87 octane fuel will perform better and get better mileage when using 87 than when using a higher octane. Using the higher grade can cost you in more ways than one!

If you want the "best" for your ride, then use the grade it was built for. More expensive is not always better!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If you hold the book up next to the pump you'll find out that all that formula and rigamaro matches what they have on the pump, at least through the middle of the country, meaning that the 87 they show in the book is what is at the pump. I've had a couple pings with the 87 though but never with 89, but the station I frequent has 81 or 91, so I run the 91. This can cause buildup or so I'm told, so a little Sea Foam from time to time is also recomended.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've run 87, 89, & 91 octanes in my 900 LT and have noticed no difference with any of them. I get the same mileage, and the same pop on decel no matter what octane I run. So save yourself some pennys and run the 87.
My thoughts exactly, I cannot tell any difference either.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Because my octane question was a FAQ I have a new question please add your thoughts.

I am going in for my 600 mile check tomorrow (right around 550 miles now) The last 50-75 miles or so I have noticed a very slight "roughness" in my bike. So slight I'm not sure if it is my imagination...getting used to the power and no longer intimidated in the least (I am back in the saddle again after 25 years) so I notice things more...etc.

Someone here recently made vague reference to a smoothness that comes after the 1st oil change and inspection/tweak. True? Details? Thanks!

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I don't think it has much if anything to do with the first oil change, but the engine does smooth out a lot after 1000 miles or so.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
I did my second oil change around 2500 miles or so if i recall correctly. I used mobil synthetic, im not sure if it is my engine breaking in or the oil but i noticed my bike feeling much smoother overall, shifting included. probably in my head tho :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts