Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just purchased my very first motorcycle yesterday afternoon. 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I'm a very new rider. Rode my first roadbike about two months ago in the course. I'm excited to get to know some other Vulcan riders out there, and hear any hints tips or tricks with my model bike, or any for that matter, as I know null of motorcycles.

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
Welcome. People are going to want to see pics of your bike.
:worthless:

·
Cookie Monstress
454 Posts
Welcome Wahoo... errr Mudknot... lol

Definitely pixs are required....and so is Safety Gear....

Regards

Hello all!

Just purchased my very first motorcycle yesterday afternoon. 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I'm a very new rider. Rode my first roadbike about two months ago in the course. I'm excited to get to know some other Vulcan riders out there, and hear any hints tips or tricks with my model bike, or any for that matter, as I know null of motorcycles.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Hello all!

By 'in the course' you mean the MSF (or equivalent)??? If so, good on you! Congrats on the bike, I had a 900 Custom for my first bike, and they are outstanding bikes (as the very rabid fanbase on this forum will tell you ;) ). Only tip I'll say is: the bike likes to rev. Don't be afraid to leave it in the lower gears a bit longer.

Welcome. People are going to want to see pics of your bike.
:worthless:
And uh...yeah...they are an unwritten requirement :biggrin:

·
Old Geez
48 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mudknot! Many, MANY knowledgeable folks here and in the Cruiser forum. And what Bubba said...

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mudknot! You will love the 900LT - so many mods you can make and such an awesome ride! (me, biased? No way!)

And yeah, what everyone else said... pics pics pics!

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a 5'3" female, and I want to learn how to ride. I was wondering if my height is way too short to ride. & if I'm qualified, what bike should I purchase after taking all the necessary courses? Thank you =D

·
Cookie Monstress
454 Posts
Hey Child.... great name ! and welcome :)

Most major brands probably have a bike for you.....but there is no substitute for going to a lot of dealerships and sit on the silly things and see if you can flatfoot the bike and if it feels right holding it up. I have heard of many women your height that ride BIG bikes just fine... :)

Something in the 500 to 750 cc range is often a good first bike too...
Honda shadow line is a 750 cc bike I have heard is often a fit for people with shorter legs.... but that is a cruiser...and maybe you want a sport bike ?

Annie

I'm a 5'3" female, and I want to learn how to ride. I was wondering if my height is way too short to ride. & if I'm qualified, what bike should I purchase after taking all the necessary courses? Thank you =D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have a friend/co-worker who picked up a ninja 250 and had it lowered at the dealer (she's ... maybe 5'0") and had no problem with flat-footing it after a quick lowering was done. Plenty of bikes on the market to accommodate pretty much any size rider. As for qualifications, start small and take the safety course.

Link to my new bike thread that I generally try to remember to point new riders to: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/new-rider-forum/111842-my-new-bike-thread.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Way too short?" NO WAY!! But, your height SHOULD be a factor in deciding what KIND of bike you want to get! I think if you get the 500cc or anything under that, you should be FINE. I "tested" out sitting on several bikes at the shop before buying my bike, and I remember fitting comfortably, both feet flat on the ground at once, on the 500cc. The dealer can technically "lower" the bike a bit by letting down some of the compression in the rear shocks, but they can only go so far, then you need to get an alternate type of seat.

I am female, 5'4" and I have been riding my '00 Kawy ZX6R for ten years now. I believe the seat measurement on my bike was originally 32". I say "originally," because I got a real nice Corbin custom seat made for me, when I got the bike, which not only cradled my bum a LOT more comfortably, but it reduced the height issue by about an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but believe me it does make a huge difference and you FEEL it when you straddle the bike. The original seats that come on streetbikes (the crotch rockets, at least) are basically hard cubes of foam; with the original seat, my legs would start to fall asleep at the hips after only 2 hours of riding. The Corbin seat is comfortably carved (I hate to say it, but it's got an "hourglass design":lol: ), and I can ride for hours without any leg pain at all. The Ninjas aren't really made for long-term riding, but once I head out, sometimes I don't stop "playing" until hours later :tongue:

You are not "way too short" and it's great more chicks are getting interested in biking! But I am wondering what kind of bike you're thinking about getting. I have relatively short legs (and a long torso...was never gonna be a runway model, anyway LOL) and I wanted a streetbike sooooo bad, but I do have a little issue with the seat height. I can only put both feet on the ground on the balls of my feet, not both feet flat. What I usually do, when I come to a stop, is lean to the left, one foot flat on the ground with the other on the footpeg. But things CAN get dicey, especially if you're on a highway and it has dips and ruts in it. I have to be very careful not to stop on the hump in the middle of the road, making the road to either side of the bike even FARTHER away than usual! Technically the rider is supposed to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when the bike is at a standstill, to know you're "properly sized." I guess technically I'm too short to be riding a 600cc but hell if I was gonna get stuck with the 500 when what I really wanted was the mean green machine of my dreams, and I'm still alive after 10 years, no crashes or accidents, knock on wood. And no, I don't ride like a granny, either. I've had my share of speeding tickets :oops: and "unsafe riding" tickets for *ahem* wheelies and such.

If you are thinking about getting a cruiser type motorcycle, you can get ones much lower-slung, made more for female riders, without compromising on the engine power. But there is one rule I learned a LOOOOONG time ago, I don't even remember where I heard it, and that is, you should not be riding any motorcycle you cannot pick up, by yourself, from a laying-down position. I never dumped my bike but in the beginning I DID drop it a few times, and believe me, you need muscle to push a Ninja back upright all by yourself. Once my dad tried to push it back up, and he almost couldn't do it. The idea being, if something happened to you on the road where you dumped your bike, if no one is around, you NEED to be able to pick the bike up to get back on. But I think, too, it also is a good indicator of whether or not you are "strong enough" to be riding that sized bike. A lot of the cruisers have bars to protect the engine if the bike dumps, and pushing them back upright is not so difficult since the bar is already holding them halfway up. But a crotch rocket is dead flat, and pushing it upright could actually be too much for some guys. But I tend to think that the fact that I can push my own bike upright sort of overrides the fact that my feet don't simultaneously sit flat on the ground, so...:redface:

OMG...I'm SO sorry for hijacking your topic, Mudknot9000, that was really rude of me! WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Heres the bike!!!

Thanks for the welcoming!

One thing I don't especially enjoy about cruiser style bikes, is most are built with no tac. Any suggestions as to brand or otherwise? Obviously I would like one showing the redline of my bike correctly, would it even be possible to find one, through Kawi maybe?

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Way too short?" NO WAY!! But, your height SHOULD be a factor in deciding what KIND of bike you want to get! I think if you get the 500cc or anything under that, you should be FINE. I "tested" out sitting on several bikes at the shop before buying my bike, and I remember fitting comfortably, both feet flat on the ground at once, on the 500cc. The dealer can technically "lower" the bike a bit by letting down some of the compression in the rear shocks, but they can only go so far, then you need to get an alternate type of seat.

I am female, 5'4" and I have been riding my '00 Kawy ZX6R for ten years now. I believe the seat measurement on my bike was originally 32". I say "originally," because I got a real nice Corbin custom seat made for me, when I got the bike, which not only cradled my bum a LOT more comfortably, but it reduced the height issue by about an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but believe me it does make a huge difference and you FEEL it when you straddle the bike. The original seats that come on streetbikes (the crotch rockets, at least) are basically hard cubes of foam; with the original seat, my legs would start to fall asleep at the hips after only 2 hours of riding. The Corbin seat is comfortably carved (I hate to say it, but it's got an "hourglass design":lol: ), and I can ride for hours without any leg pain at all. The Ninjas aren't really made for long-term riding, but once I head out, sometimes I don't stop "playing" until hours later :tongue:

You are not "way too short" and it's great more chicks are getting interested in biking! But I am wondering what kind of bike you're thinking about getting. I have relatively short legs (and a long torso...was never gonna be a runway model, anyway LOL) and I wanted a streetbike sooooo bad, but I do have a little issue with the seat height. I can only put both feet on the ground on the balls of my feet, not both feet flat. What I usually do, when I come to a stop, is lean to the left, one foot flat on the ground with the other on the footpeg. But things CAN get dicey, especially if you're on a highway and it has dips and ruts in it. I have to be very careful not to stop on the hump in the middle of the road, making the road to either side of the bike even FARTHER away than usual! Technically the rider is supposed to be able to put both feet flat on the ground when the bike is at a standstill, to know you're "properly sized." I guess technically I'm too short to be riding a 600cc but hell if I was gonna get stuck with the 500 when what I really wanted was the mean green machine of my dreams, and I'm still alive after 10 years, no crashes or accidents, knock on wood. And no, I don't ride like a granny, either. I've had my share of speeding tickets :oops: and "unsafe riding" tickets for *ahem* wheelies and such.

If you are thinking about getting a cruiser type motorcycle, you can get ones much lower-slung, made more for female riders, without compromising on the engine power. But there is one rule I learned a LOOOOONG time ago, I don't even remember where I heard it, and that is, you should not be riding any motorcycle you cannot pick up, by yourself, from a laying-down position. I never dumped my bike but in the beginning I DID drop it a few times, and believe me, you need muscle to push a Ninja back upright all by yourself. Once my dad tried to push it back up, and he almost couldn't do it. The idea being, if something happened to you on the road where you dumped your bike, if no one is around, you NEED to be able to pick the bike up to get back on. But I think, too, it also is a good indicator of whether or not you are "strong enough" to be riding that sized bike. A lot of the cruisers have bars to protect the engine if the bike dumps, and pushing them back upright is not so difficult since the bar is already holding them halfway up. But a crotch rocket is dead flat, and pushing it upright could actually be too much for some guys. But I tend to think that the fact that I can push my own bike upright sort of overrides the fact that my feet don't simultaneously sit flat on the ground, so...:redface:

OMG...I'm SO sorry for hijacking your topic, Mudknot9000, that was really rude of me! WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!
Wow, Thank you so much for all the information provided! You are way too awesome. I have the same body type as yours: long torso & short legs.. that's why I'm so worried how I'm supposed to ride safely when my feet won't be able to touch the ground. My dad used to have a Kawasaki and it was his pride and joy. He was my inspiration to ride but I'm always afraid since I only weight 116 (although I have really strong arms due to workin in a restaurant ;P) so I didn't think I could handle a motorcycle. But I decided I should chase after my dream even though it's going to be a challenge. I'm also afraid of all the attention I'm going to get when I show up to the motorcycle class or on the road.

Also thank you for telling me how heavy the Ninja is. I would have no idea o_0! I wanted a Ninja 250, but then sports bike are probably not something for beginners.

Once again thank you so much for the warm welcome and for being a great mentor. Once I take my MSF, I will let you know if I have other questions :D

`Mimi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! I love the bike. It rides and sounds great. I'm on the other end of the country, around the Portland, OR region.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts