Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day

I live in Houston and previously owned a 1200s Bandit, and now own a V-Strom 1000. I have been bitten by the cruiser bug and have become very interested in the Mean Streak. It look like my buget will only allow for an early model and I have several questions, if you please.

- Besides the difference in cc's, what are the main differences between early and later Streaks
- I need a bike I can use for commuting, short to medium 2-up rides (up to 200 miles) and some long rides (> 200 miles). How does the Meanie behave in these different areas?
- What is the reliability record of the Meanie and are there any nagging issues in the early Meanies that I whould be aware of? (for example, early stroms have a clutch chudder issue which was later resolved but that Suzuki never aknowledged]

Much obliged

·
Registered
741 Posts
Although I can't speak for the later models, I have had an 02 model since Feb. of 02. I have just 14000+ miles on it with no problems at all mechanically. I have only ridden trips of about 200 miles but the bike (and its rider) felt like it could go another 200 without a problem. I had to replace both tires awhile back due to cupping from too low pressure. I ran 35# psi which is the factory recommended psi. Since replacing the tires with the same OEM Dunlops I now run 40 psi with no sign of cupping. Here's some pics of my ride.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I've got an 04, so can't speak to the earlier models. I love mine and have had no trouble. I wouldn't even consider 2 up with the stock seat, I have had my kids on the back only a couple times and they are in pain within 15-20 minutes. The stock seat is basically a one up seat, there is NO padding for the passenger. If you're going to do any amout of 2 up, you might want to consider one of the other cruisers, in my opinion the meanie is really designed as a one up machine.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I just bought an new 03 meanie and love it. I think it just does everything well. The stock seat for the passenger is not usuable. I got a Mustang seat ( 3pc studded with driver backrest....That backrest is great.) which I had on my old bike. Night and day difference with the Mustang passenger seat....no complaints from the passenger. I recommend Mustang without any hesitation. There are a number of other alternatives such as Corbin and some others. You might check with Beartooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts