Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old pipes are starting to show their age. They are discolouring and have a bit of boot rubber on them :eek: I want to remove them and paint them flat black, high temp stove paint. Has anyone done this? Any tips or advice?

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
My 12 year old pipes are starting to show their age. They are discolouring and have a bit of boot rubber on them :eek: I want to remove them and paint them flat black, high temp stove paint. Has anyone done this? Any tips or advice?
I haven't done it yet but plan too. Contact ImpactG. He's done it and did a great job.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
I've done the inside of my V&H heat shields. It's almost been a year and from what I can see, they still look great.

Here's a pic after I painted them.

If you do paint them, try that blue painters tape and leave a little chrome ring showing at the exhaust end of the pipes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I did mine a while back and used VHT header paint. It worked good and looks good also. Fairly durable also................

·
You hate me, & I hate you
615 Posts
I used header paint and BBQ paint. Both work good but the header paint needs to cure at 400F at least and parts of the pipes will look more shiny than others for a while so thats something to consider. Other than that just scuff the chrome and paint and you should be pretty happy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I remove the pipes will I need to replace the gaskets or can I reuse the existing ones.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
If I remove the pipes will I need to replace the gaskets or can I reuse the existing ones.
Some people say you can reuse them but they only cost a few bucks so I'd just replace them. I think mine were literally $3.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, looks like my New Year project. I'll be sure to add pictures.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im ganna be honest I have done this and 4 weeks later i regreted it, the paint started to flake right off. i found out why as well if the paint says like 1500 deg. u have to get it around that hot for it to cure. i just paid the $300 to have it done and it looks great.

·
You hate me, & I hate you
615 Posts
I did mine for $4.00 worth of grill paint and they still look great. No chipping, peeling, or cracking. I painted all the other parts of my bike with cheap $1.00 flat black spray paint and except for a tiny chip on the light bar where a rock hit it (I could hear it hit my bike loudly) It all looks great and again no chipping, peeling, or cracking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts