Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new here, just wanted to say “Hi” and ask a couple of question.

First I’ll be 45 next month and live in Arkansas. I started riding dirt bikes at 13 (Honda 70). Got my first street bike at 15 (legal age in Texas then, not sure now). Had a lot of bikes after that. Stopped riding about 14 years ago, girlfriend at time did not like them and none of my friends at the time rode. So I sold my 85 Yamaha Maxim 650. Last bike I owned. Best friend just took up riding with his dad and I have decided I want to get back in also. Friends dad has an old 80 Honda Hawk 400 he uses to play on that I have been riding for a couple of weeks to get the hang again. Now I want my own! I’ve been looking at the Ninja 500R and really like that bike. I have had dual-purpose and cruisers all my life, always wanted a sportbike so that is what I’m looking at and fell for the 500R. I don’t want a monster right now, just something to enjoy. I see a lot of opinions on this bike here and the more I read the more I like it. :D

Couple of questions. What is a good full-face helmet? And does a flip up make much difference?

Second. A good jacket. I have been looking at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego because of its versatility. Any opinions on this one or others?

Just looking at what all I will need as I am looking for a bike. Still trying to decide on new or used. Have not made up my mind on that yet. But with the price of a new one, most people want nearly that much for used. :shock:

Just wanted to say Hi, and thanks for such a great board. People here treat you the same whether you’re a noob or a veteran rider. As long as I have been out I consider myself very close to a noob.

Later all!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SOME ANSWERS

The guys on the FORUM will drop when they see that I might recommend anything but a Ninja 250...a 250R is an awesome bike...but a 500 will get you everywhere you want to go as well. With your experience you could handle the 250R or even the larger 500R. Helmet...Very important that it fits right and will not pull off of your head...forget the label or brand...some brands just fit different shape heads better...and that is really important...full face...I say YES! Jacket...Hmm, what do you like, does it fit right when you are stretched out over the tank and steeing back on the Ninja? IF you can't try it out on the bike then do the squat and reach out your arms in front of you stretching them...the sleeves have to be long enough and loose enough to let you reach out...Leather or NOT, black is color that gets hot when you are wearing it out in the sun, but the draw-back is that any other color shows road film...the Rocket's are pretty nice... new/used...this is a question better left to your pocket/checking account, insurance and so forth. you can find some great deals on 250 and 500 R's both...If you think that you may want to step up in a couple years, like maybe even next year....then buy a used one and ride it...really ride it...take it through the MSF course and then take it through your paces, then put some money on a new one, or put it away for a new one this winter, and sell the used one. There should be some changes in line for the new 500 and 600's this next year. Since Kawasaki and Suzuki R&D have worked so close hand in hand, the new Suzi 500 has a full fairing/2004, and the 600/750 and I believe even the 1000 has the new Titanium valves like the Kawasaki 1000 has. I would expect to see some Kawasaki changes reflecting these changes...perhaps even the slipper clutch. The 500's still use carbs but the 600 sport-bike classes are using fuel injection. the ZZR-600 is using carbs and it to is a cool bike although it is heavier than the Ninja's...I'm rambling...sorry. If you are serious about changing up to a 600/636 or larger then really there IS nothing wrong with a Ninja250R for fuel mileage, insurance, maintenance...HA, got it in on the end!!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HELLO!!!

Oh, yeah...Welcome to the forum...there are no STUPID questions, and fill your profile out so that we can all check out interests, like diving (?), and what you do. We have ALL sorts of people on here that can give you Professional help (Some of us need all the Profesional help that we can get, others just get by....) Insurance people, computer geeks, some math Guru's, some people that can field strip a carb blindfolded and put it all back together and sync them by ear...(?), and people from ALL around the world, uk, US, S. America, Australia, NZ, IT'S unreal that a FORUM sponsored by Beartooth Kawasaki out of a little town in Montana, could have such a wonderful mix of people, all different models of Kawasaki's...it's fun! ANYWAY...WELCOME!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Stay with 400 Honda, I wouldn't trade mine for a new 636 ninja.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts