Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm think of getting either the 2018 400, or a 2017\2018 650. This will be my first motorcycle. I grew up riding dirt bikes, but haven't been on one years. I learn quickly, and can get bored easily. I like them both because from what I've read, it should take a while to out grow either of them, especially the 650. It will be my daily, and occasional track bike, as long as it isn't raining, and when it rains I have a car already. I live in central California, so the weather is pretty good year round. What are your suggestions? Btw, I'm completely new to Reddit. Thank you for any and all replys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rode a 2018 model Ninja 650 for a couple of years as my first street bike after passing my test. I wrote about it here: Why I chose the Kawasaki Ninja 650 as my first big bike – East London Advanced Motorcyclists

I also made a few videos with it. This is what it sounds like:

If you like the sporty looks with the fairing, but want a bit of comfort as well (not being on your wrists and giving your lower back a break) and are looking only for safe and legal street and road performance, I don't think there's another option in that engine capacity class in the market.

The OEM tyres are OK in the dry but not great when wet. I changed them after 4k miles.

The only other modification I made to it was replace the fork springs and oil with progressive springs from Hyperpro, as the OEM ones were way too soft.

On the dislike side, I started getting annoyed with the lack of fork adjustment and the limited preload adjustment (and difficulty getting to it!) on the rear. Fairing removal was also quite a faff.

If you're looking for track performance or carrying passengers, you will find its limitations after a while.

If it wasn't for the fact I plan to take my daughter on rides and longer tours (once the lockdown is over), I'd have kept it. It's enough bike to do everything I want on the street (including solo touring), if not carrying a pillion.

I have now traded it in for a Ninja 1000 SX (or Z1000SX as they were called in the UK).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, I am going to comment here and I hope you remember it in the distant future, I have been riding for almost fifty years, raced MX, road raced, worked as a professional motorcycle mechanic, have owned approximately 35 motorcycles. About 10 years ago I found myself riding a Kawasaki 250 Ninja for a friend. About six miles into the ride I suddenly realized I was suppressing a laugh.It was startling, took me a bit of time to realize that this low powered lightweight motorcycle was the essence of what attracted me to motorcycling in the first place. Yes I have raced, Yes I have ridden massively powered motorcycles, but my favorite ride for the past eight years is my 24hp CBR250R. Put the ego aside, do not approach each ride with the attitude that if only I had more power, enjoy the freedom, the experience, the temperature changes, the aromas.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 250 Ninja was more fun to ride than my RD350 Yamaha. And that Yammy was a blast to ride on the street and the track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 650. Go with the 650. Especially if you’re a taller guy the 300 will seem like a kids toy. It’s also woefully underpowered for the highway. You need the ability to twist the throttle a little to get out of sketchy situations (plus it just seems to get thrown around a little more than the 650). The 650 is very forgiving to new riders and you’ll get more life out of it because you’re not likely to outgrow it if you’re focused on just having a comfortable bike with a decent amount of power.
where am i 192.168.8.1 192.168.100.1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts