Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. so not my ride, but saw this on the way home yesterday and had to stop. This is a prototype that the owner hopes to start selling in kit form someday. The motor & running gear are from a ford ranger mini truck. The owner fabbed it all in his shop after laying the thing out in CAD. His inspiration was, according to him, more tractor than chopper, and the thing is designed to pull serious weight up all grades on all surfaces. After seeing it rip down the highway and some gravel road as well, I can tell you it works!

After talking a bit, he invited me to his shop to see his latest-a flatbed diesel trike/tractor based on Mercedes power and gear. This one is still in the fit-up stage, but is looking pretty cool... Note that while the seat looks harsh, I sat on it and it was pretty comfy. I also really like the jockey-shifter made from a tire iron, and the diamond-plate tank bib.

I hope all you fabheads like this.
I love to see work in progress. It gives so much insight into the design concept. This thing looks raw at this stage, but the simplicity of the frame design and the degree of adaptability for various power plants is a thing of beauty. Plus, I have a special place in my heart for DIY cats that just gotta build something different.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I'm diggin that flatbed. This guy's got some serious skillz.

Thanks for sharing. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's my father's 3 wheeler, and I'm working with him to build the diesel one pictured.

As for the seat, he used to make prosthetic limbs (he’s an amputee himself) and he’s also been a massage therapist so the seat was designed with careful attention to the anatomy and physiology of the body. I have no intent to cover or pad it in any way. Just rhino-hide and go.. and I’m planning on riding mine at least to the Canadian Maritimes and potentially Santiago and on to Patagonia.

As for the skills involved in making these, my first welds are on the diesel version. Nothing we’ve done is all that complex. Just time consuming some times. But just basic mounts for the engine, transmission, and rear drive axle(s.)

If anyone’s curious to get more information, please feel free to contact me.

~aspen.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The simplicity of it is a marvel.

BTW- you cant tell from the pix, but the seat is suspended nicely and is pretty darn comfy (was kinda narrow fer my fatazz) Can't wait to see it finito! Please post photos as you progress!
And tell your dad thanks for the show and tell.- I really enjoyed meeting him.

Oh I almost forgot! you should put up some pix of your bobber too! alot of bobber fans on this board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
quick response!

Hello All, quick response.. must be a slow friday afternoon for you too. *grin*

Thank you Sebastian, I'll post some more pictures for you.

*nods* (Dare) One of the things we're excited about with this project is the idea that we all have favorite cars / engines / technologies.. and by selling the frame kits rather than finished machines, we all have the opportunity to revisit those favorites. It might be the Thunderbird Turbo for you, I might prefer a 13b out of a Mazda Rx7.. *grin* I’m actually thinking that my next one will be steam powered, but that’s a whole other discussion. (100% torque at 0 RPM!!! *grin*)

Hello Skewterdewd, thanks for the original post. Yeah, there’s a heck of a spring under the seat (which is good since there’s no rear suspension. *grin*) Let me see if I can find a good picture of it.

I'm heading down for the holiday weekend.. I imagine we'll finish mounting the scoops to direct air into the radiators, and probably do some finish welding / grinding on the main frame, but I'll see if I can get some more pictures and keep everyone updated.

I'll let him know.. I know he appreciates the opportunity to share the project with others, we’re really looking forward to finding people who want to take on a project of their own. It’ll be great to have mine on the road this spring, but it will be nice to pay some bills and actually be able to buy metal working tools to work with.. he built his using primarily wood working tools.. *shakes head*

It’s not a Kawasaki, but sure, I’ll post some pictures of my two wheeler. Though it won’t be mine for long, I’ve been riding it for almost ten years now, but I’m getting rid of it this spring so I can enjoy my three wheeler. *grin*

(These pictures don't have the flame job I had put on this summer, but they should give you an idea.)

Enjoy, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the three wheelers.

Peace,

~aspen.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
I dunno about the rest, but I would NOT want to lay my leg up against THAT exhaust!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
update

I've never had any trouble when I was riding it. (your legs aren't really as close it it as you might imagine from the pictures) but I agree with you in principle and for mine I'm going to route the exhaust down under the frame before it gets to my legs.

Here are some pictures from this last weekend. With the major components complete we rolled it out of the shop to get a better idea for how our frame modifications changed the look of the overall trike compared with his first one. It was the first time we were able to step back and look at it from more than 5 feet away. Then we rolled it back into the shop and disassembled it down to components for final welding, grinding and paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.