Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope you can help me out with this one...

I recently bought a "second-hand" 99 Nomad with V&H bagger dual exhaust and a K&N air filter using the stock air intake housing. When I go to start it up I need to pull the choke and let it warm up for several minutes (5-10 min with choke wide open) before I can get any throttle response with the choke closed. Otherwise, if I jab the throttle, the bike will hesitate, spit and/or stop.

I have also been noticing that when I cut the throttle to decelerate before a slow turn, when I try to accelerate through the turn the bike will often times "bucks" and hesitates before jumping back up to the proper RPM (making for a rough ride).

Any ideas? Jetting problem? How can I pinpoint the problem, and then what is the best way of fixing it. I would like to eventually make air-intake mods, but I want the bike performing correctly before I try to screw it up even more... :twisted:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I would think its a jetting/carb issue. With those kinda mods I would think you'd need quite a bit more fuel running in there and if there is not bigger jets and different needle settings I bet that thing is running lean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Definate jet problem, cause I have it too. I think I need to raise my floats because I have tried every possible needle height/ screw adjustment possible, and I still get the bog at 2-4k rpm's. Real noticable when trying to accelerate through turns, kinda makes me sad :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I need to raise my floats because I have tried every possible needle height/ screw adjustment possible, and I still get the bog at 2-4k rpm's.
What's involved in raising the floats? More difficult than re-jetting? What size jets are you running now?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
03SSgt said:
http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Doesn't look difficult, but minor measurements mean alot of change. I'm running #135 main jets, K&N Air Filter, D&D full exhaust. I can't wait to get a fuel injected bike :cry:
Fuel injected bikes aren't perfect either, if you go to high altitudes they run like crap. (w/o remapping that is)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Freakinout said:
Fuel injected bikes aren't perfect either, if you go to high altitudes they run like crap. (w/o remapping that is)
Never plan on leaving Texas :wink:

Hoora for 100ft above sea level :lol:

·
Registered
605 Posts
pfft woohoo for 5280 ft. My bike runs excellent, I rode down to SD, I say down thanks to the elevation and the bike seemed to run perfectly there.

If I ever had any issues like when I go to sturgis in a few weeks what will I need to do to temp fix it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, here's the latest....

I pulled the plugs and I found them to be in very good shape. The ceramics and the electrodes were very clean and the grounding electrodes had a small amount of tan-ish deposits. I did notice that there was a fair amount of carbon buildup on the base of the threads and the base of the grounding electrodes.

In the process of checking my plugs I noticed the left-rear plug wire was not seated the whole way onto the plug. So after checking the plugs I took the bike out for a test ride. It did run better, but it is not 100%. The warm up time still seems excessive and there is still hesitation/bucking during low throttle maneuvers

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Remove the vent tube to the floats. Change back to oem springs and check each float to make sure they are all the same setting. You will lose a little performance with the spring change - but try it. You can always go back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts