Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a NOS warn 424 for the 99-02 Prairie 300 4x4 for about half what they were selling for before warn discontinued them.

I've been looking into a disconnect for a while to lighten up the steering a bit. I couldn't seem to swallow the $300+ pricetag for the chance that it won't fit the Prairie 400. Warn says that it only fits the Prairie 300 but some quick parts search interchange tells me that the front driveshafts on the Prairie 300 and Prairie 400 are very similar in design although not the same part number (the difference could be thickness of the material to save weight or some jazz like that)

I'm wondering;

#1 If anyone has tried the warn 424 on the prairie 400.

#2 Has a prairie 300 they would be ever so kind to do some measurements on for me :)

#3 Has a Prairie 300 they'd like to purchase a Warn 424 for in case it cannot be modified to fit a prairie 400. I promise I won't chop anything up needed to fit it to a Prairie 300 :)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I am not sure you will get an answer. Most of the guys that installed the 424's are now taking the units off and tossing them in the trash.

That is likely why Warn dropped the product.

The concept works well on a big pickup truck, but on the ATV's that muck around knee deep in the mud and slop there is a serious problem with snagging the cable and ending up with a problem that can strand you in the weeds.

I had one on a Yamaha Kodiak, and thought it was great until I tangled it in blackberries and then lost my front drive in a Texas swamp with snakes. I hitched a ride out with a friend, and sold the Yamaha to the first guy in the bar that had a way to pull it out of the snake patch, and never looked back! Just another learning experience as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand the cable snagging risk but my plan is to eventually install a Trac Tech gearless locker for maximum traction and a locked front end with AWD isn't something I'm looking forward to. I already have full underbelly skid plates in the works as well so snagging SHOULD be minimized.

I'm looking to lighten up that steering a bit and maybe breath some life into those front brakes. I have to hear it everytime we go riding, my wife thinks she's going to fly off into a bush or something because she hits the front brakes and they "don't do anything". Disconnecting the front wheels should allow the front wheels to stop the quad while all the rotating mass is still winding down on the back wheels. I've ridden newer quads with selectable 4WD and the difference is like night and day and worth any risk of snagging that shifter line.

I'm just concerned that I'm wasting a big pile of money buying the shaft for the Prairie 300 is it's not even close to the right length to work on the Prairie 400. The price is right but only if it's close enough to be adapted...and I know someone on this forum has a Prairie 300 out in the shed they wouldn't mind measuring their front driveshaft length for me so I'd have an idea what I'm getting into.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts