Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 2021 Versys 650 has some lambda sensor issues, it goes on with error 33 intermittently. This is an MOT fail point, because emissions, but I diverge.

Today I went in to the country dealer to get it inspected and fixed, boy was I in for a surprise!

I rode to the dealer's garage with the darn engine light on, got there, asked who can handle this, but when the tech came and turned the motorcycle back on the error went away. Well, s*it happens, I just come back another time, I said, and offer to send them pictures with the various times the same thing happened.

But then, the problems started. The tech noticed I had a set of engine guards installed, non-OEM, so he said that these are reason for voiding the warranty because the bike MUST be in the same condition as it left the factory (I wonder if paint scratches count). Furthermore, since I haven't given them the big bucks to change the oil (I took the bike to authorized service garages and made sure I stuck to the maintenance chart and schedule) then there is no warranty, because the warranty is only provided if the bike is touched by the dealer and only by the dealer, while maintaining the same aspect, options and other parts as it came from the factory (guess it should also have the same fluid in it and pristine brake pads/rotors)

Oh, yeah, this is the same dealer who told me to take a walk when I was due for the 1000km service because they have work scheduled for the next 2-3 months. There is only one in my country (Romania) the next one being about 900km away in Hungary or Bulgaria.

Buy Kawasaki, get screwed!

(And the darn CEL turned back on while riding home...)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I cannot believe the EU distributor would want any of its dealers acting like this.

You could call the distributor and see if this is their standard policy. I bet your dealer would quickly have an attitude adjustment as a result.

But if the distributor does nothing or stands by his dealer, then its time to contact Kawasaki in Japan.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can think of so many things I'd like to say, but can't. I too would contact the Service Representative for Kawasaki in Romania. They usually get things straightened out. The whole get the bike serviced by "us, or screw you" is really obnoxious.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have managed 3 motorcycle dealerships. This attitude by dealerships was once prevalent in the U,S,, until laws were passed that any certified registered mechanics shop coyld do maintenance work, like oil changes, tire changes, etc. I was accused of dealerships of "stealing" their customers because we worked on whatever you brought in to be repaired. Crash bars!?! What the heck bearing does that have on a warning light. With all the horrid history Romanians have had to suffer, for this dealership to just add to it, well, that just pissed me off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
After threatening to complain to the authorities, the dealer measured the O2 sensor, took some pictures of the dash and the bike as a whole, then said they will forward these to Kawasaki and get back to me.
I'll give them a week.

@Kawasakian we have the similar laws passed in Romania and EU, but some businesses try their best to ruin things for customers.
I've serviced my car at several garages, even did some servicing myself, they never cringed when I've asked a replacement radio on warranty due to a malfunctioning volume button.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Update:
After threatening to complain to the authorities, the dealer measured the O2 sensor, took some pictures of the dash and the bike as a whole, then said they will forward these to Kawasaki and get back to me.
I'll give them a week.

@Kawasakian we have the similar laws passed in Romania and EU, but some businesses try their best to ruin things for customers.
I've serviced my car at several garages, even did some servicing myself, they never cringed when I've asked a replacement radio on warranty due to a malfunctioning volume button.

That's great! I knew people under the old regine their when I was much younger, they sufered so badly. Glad to hear you guys are doing well. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the update. It sounds like they are trying to make it throw the same error code as before.
The code was already thrown when I arrived at the garage, fortunately if happened again on my way there. There is still no news about when or if they change that sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE3:
The week has passed and no other communication was received from the dealer.
Sent inquiries to Kawasaki Japan and Kawasaki Europe regarding this situation, never heard back from them !!!

Since Kawasaki Japan and Kawasaki Europe are keeping quiet about the situation, then scamming people out of warranty must be their business model !!!

Be aware when buying Kawasaki products, since they do not provide any warranty on them !!! Buy at your own risk !!!

The dealer in question is called United Motors, which is also the official Kawasaki importer in Romania (colony of EU).

I'll see what the local authorities can do about it, but it is the last ever Kawasaki product I buy, second hand included.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
I understand your frustration but a week is not much time to diagnose a tricky problem. One would hope that the Kawasaki Corporate is involved in discussions with the dealer.

I find it is always best to show up at the dealer if you want results. Emails are too easy to ignore.

One bad dealer or one bad experience with one dealer by one person does not mean a giant corporation like Kawasaki Japan is bad.

Does your country have a lemon-law or a Better Business Bureau? Or small claims court?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand your frustration but a week is not much time to diagnose a tricky problem. One would hope that the Kawasaki Corporate is involved in discussions with the dealer.

I find it is always best to show up at the dealer if you want results. Emails are too easy to ignore.

One bad dealer or one bad experience with one dealer by one person does not mean a giant corporation like Kawasaki Japan is bad.

Does your country have a lemon-law or a Better Business Bureau? Or small claims court?
We have some customer protection laws but not a lemon law, next step is to make a complaint to the relevant authority, which will take 90-180 days to be resolved.

However, the dealer/importer doesn't care about any law, and the fact that the rest of Kawasaki is silent means they don't care either, hence the whole company is bad.

The week passed since last time I got to the dealer for measurements, there has been 3 weeks in total since I made the complaint, I will not camp in front of the dealer office because you get arrested for that in my country.

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
Quite frankly, if I wrote to Kawasaki Japan, I would not expect a response in a week. Perhaps a month or more would be more like it. Try writing a letter to Ford, GM, or any large manufacturer to see if you can get any kind of personal response other than a form letter.

Typically any major manufacturer like Kawasaki relies on its dealers and distributors to handle customer complaints. You are between a rock and a hard place because your dealer and distributor are the same company. This is not a good setup.

I worked for a Kawasaki dealership and we had a fantastic relationship with our distributor. They provided outstanding dealer support for technical issues, training etc. As mechanic I could usually get them on the phone with just one call, or if I left a message I would get a call back from their top tech guy within 24 hours. Our warranty claims were processed quickly and fairly.

In my opinion, you just have a bad dealer/distributor. But don't give up hope and please don't camp on anyone's doorstep. Diplomacy gets you far more success than anger or protesting. I would be fair, polite and calm but continue to visit your dealer on a regular basis to ask about progress on your issues.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If this dealership is the source of the "Service Representative", then your options are limited. I would ask for that individual's name and contact info and talk with the Kawasaki Service Representative for by phone, not text, or email. Technically, he works for Kawasaki, not the dealership. My brother in law was the Honda Service Representative for the Northeast part of the U.S. for 7 years. He was good at his job, flushed out much fraud, and also forced a few dealerships to really clean up their act. He could have parts replaced that he deemed were defective, even though the vehicles warranty was long expired. I'll never forget (this was a long time ago) a CB750 snapped the Hyvo Chain between the crankshaft and transmission. Honda gave the customer a new engine. The bike was two years old. My brother in law told me that Honda stated to him "Honda Hyvo chains do not brake". The engine was boxed and sent to Japan for analysis. This was in the late 1970's. :)

·
Administrator
4,189 Posts
The Kawasaki distributor in Romania is as shown below and unfortunately they are also the dealer.

UNITED MOTORS INTERNATIONAL S.R.L
Sos. Pipera, nr. 44
014254 Bucharest, sect. 2
+40726700383

What about ATVRom Sport? They are a Kawasaki dealer in Bucharest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts