Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Tsukayu fairing with full stereo and speakers. The fairing, along with the rest of the tins are at the painters so I will post pics when I get it all back and installed.

So just thinking ahead, for those of you who have a stereo and speakers in a fairing or otherwise, how do you wash your bike and protect the stereo & speakers from water damage?

On the fairing, it has a cover that comes down and locks over the stereo so I am not so worried about that even though I am not sure it is 100% air tight. But I don't believe the speakers are waterproof so I would be concerned about getting them too wet.

Any thoughts?

Mike

·
MINI Madness
381 Posts
Personally, I would never wash a street bike. Just get some Maguires quick detailer and wipe it down with a micro fiber towel. If you do this every ride or two, or at least once a month, it should stay nice and clean.

-Cody

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Aren't the speakers marine speakers? Meaning they should be waterproof?

Oh and I hate you for getting the fairing. That's the one I wanted. :| But also...................

:worthless:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah, they are most likely water resistant marine grade speakers and stereo. I'd find out what brand they are and look them up online and see what the manufacturer recommends though. A lot of time the stereo is not water resistant but the box it is in is.

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they are most likely water resistant marine grade speakers and stereo. I'd find out what brand they are and look them up online and see what the manufacturer recommends though. A lot of time the stereo is not water resistant but the box it is in is.
The speakers are Rockford Fosgate Punch 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers. I read the specs and nothing is noted about them being water resistent.

Tsukayu's website does indicate that the stereo housing is water proof, but not the speakers.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The speakers are Rockford Fosgate Punch 6-1/2" 3-Way Car Speakers. I read the specs and nothing is noted about them being water resistent.

Tsukayu's website does indicate that the stereo housing is water proof, but not the speakers.
Yeah, I would not take a chance with the speakers. I'd either just wash it carefully or gets some water resistant speakers.

·
Low Voltage High Current
217 Posts

The speakers should be of a marine application type. However, I would imagine that if they are being used in a motorcycle fairing that the speakers most likely have a rubber surround vs. a foam surround. The speaker cones should be of an injection molded type along with the dust cap(center dome)vs. a treated pressed paper cone and clothe type dust cap, for this application. Which will increase the effective life span on the speakers, when exposed to moisture. However, direct exposure to water should be avoided ie., spraying them with a pressure washer. Even in a cage enviroment, car audio components are still exposed to temp. and moisture extremes, particularly door speakers. As added protection, you can remove the protective grills and apply a spray on silicon or brush on a thin layer of latex, then re-install the grills. This would greatly help in extending the life of the speakers by providing exceptional water resistence, without adversly effecting sound quaility in your application.

As for the Stereo(head unit) it REALLY NEEDS to be of a MARINE application type.

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
The uniq speakers were waterproof. I rode for 1-hour in the rain over the weekend and they worked fine. After that little test I had no issue putting a hose on the bike to clean it off. If you ever ride your bike in the rain you will find out really quickly if the speakers are marine grade or not! :biggrin:

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
alittle water wont hurt them just dont hose them down or turn them on till they are dry .The main thing is be careful.I have had my bike for 2 years and never turned a hose on it.I just use a water bottle and spray generously small areas at a time followed by a micro fiber towel and then wax.hot water works great on the windshield if it is not covered with bugs.Bug juice will come off with mild soap and warm water.I always use microfiber towels no matter what.every other ride it get the detailers wax spray down.Just NEVER dry wipe your bike.

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use pledge for quick touch ups and on my memphis shades windshield. But i live on a dirt road so sometimes i get just too much dirt and dust. Only a good wash with soap will do the trick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.