Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding tonight----fairly spirited riding---nice cool night and the bike was running great.

Made my way across the river over Council Bluffs IA(no helmet law---I was wearing mine cause I feel naked without it)----was stopped at light that leads to an overpass and this big raised up Chevy truck ran the light before my green---no lights and moving fast----I saw em coming--so no harm to me----I'm coming down the overpass and saw it but didn't believe what I was seeing-----that truck rear-ended a guy and his girlfriend on a Harley stopped at a red light---then proceded to drive off.

The driver was thrown a good 30 to 40 feet and the girl was thrown up over the hood of the truck(neither had a helmet on)----I got off the bike---the driver wasn't moving but still breathing---REAL BAD SHAPE----go check the girl---had to hold her down to keep her from moving--and she was combative----the cops showed up within a minute or so----fire/ambulance took about 5 minutes.

The driver of the truck eventually came back and they cuffed him and took him away after a discussion---didn't catch what was said as I backed off once police/rescue showed up. I also smelled alcohol on the driver of the bike----but he wasn't doing anything wrong besides not watching his mirrors at a stop light---had he been --he might have been able to pull out and avoid it.

The news crews showed up----and I came straight home after giving a statement to police----pretty much put a damper on anymore riding tonight----I drove home extra carefull and SLOW.

I still can't stop thinking about it.----Their faces are burned into my memory right now.

Lesson here---wear your helmet and be VERY aware of what going on around you.

Oh ya----went and looked at the truck---there wasn't a scratch on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
thought you had a wreck at first.... glad you're ok, and i hope the riders on the harley are gonna be ok.

might have been that since the truck didn't have the lights on, it didn't show in their mirrors. still sucks either way.

i don't think i would have been able to ride home for a while after seeing something like that. you're stronger than i am.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
And if in fact the driver had been drinking...well, 'nuff said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts