Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vulcan 900 Custom
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home from work yesterday in my cage and noticed a guy on an HD come zooming by. I let him pass although the feeling was he was going to whether I slowed down or not. We then got on the interstate which was backed up with traffic at a snail's pace. He decided to zip through to the far left lane, and once he decided it wasn't fast enough for him, he started riding the shoulder at about 60mph. What he didn't realize was a state trooper saw him do it, turned his lights on (mind you the trooper was in the far right lane of a 5 lane part of interstate), stopped all traffic and pulled this guy over. Needless to say, the trooper was quite P.O.'d. I never understood why people decide to do that just b/c they are on a bike. I wouldn't want to chance not being seen and hit. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
People take leave of their senses a lot when traffic gets snarled. "Because he can" is likely his justification. I'd love to know if he got a reckless driving citation. Sounds like he deserved one.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I personally would have been on the shoulder riding as well. However not at 60 mph but you wouldn't have seen me sitting in traffic. Surprised the trooper even bothered.

·
I'm Back
616 Posts
One of the great things about California, you can just drive right in between the cars. Never a need to stop on the interstates when riding.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
I've used the shoulder more than once to get around traffic. Never at 60mph, though. That's crazy.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm much better behaved on my bike than I am in my car. There's no way I'd do that, and I wouldn't feel at all bad for someone that gets caught doing it.

·
Vulcan 900 Custom
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My reasoning behind not driving between cars (besides the law) is the scary thought of someone merging into another lane and me being caught in between and getting smashed. Trust me, I don't like sitting in traffic in a car or my bike, but I just live with it and do it. I'd rather not end up hurt or otherwise due to me being impatient.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I personally would have been on the shoulder riding as well. However not at 60 mph but you wouldn't have seen me sitting in traffic. Surprised the trooper even bothered.
I'd bother. I've let bikes go in back-ups when it's raining or the heat is very opressing but if it's a normal weather day, nope.....

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
596 Posts
Life may be short, but it's long enough to have some patience and wait. If you don't wait, life might be even shorter!!!

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
I'd bother. I've let bikes go in back-ups when it's raining or the heat is very opressing but if it's a normal weather day, nope.....
Troop ~ What if we are stiing at a light and it won't turn because we don't trigger it? Would you give a ticket to someone making a safe crossing of an intersection at that point? Always wondered but never asked.

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Troop ~ What if we are stiing at a light and it won't turn because we don't trigger it? Would you give a ticket to someone making a safe crossing of an intersection at that point? Always wondered but never asked.
In that instance, you would turn right, then make a u-turn and then go straight.

There ya go.. you've just made a "legal" left turn. It takes an extra 60 seconds, but who cares.

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts

·
Loving this bike
586 Posts
About 10 years ago I rode the shoulder going about 10 miles an hour and passed a cop. He pulled me over and read me the riot act about how a car was going to hit me just to spite me. After the lecture he didn't give me a ticket though. I haven't done it since.

·
Premium Member
15,066 Posts
In that instance, you would turn right, then make a u-turn and then go straight.

There ya go.. you've just made a "legal" left turn. It takes an extra 60 seconds, but who cares.
With my luck the light will change as I'm doing the U-turn and I'll be stuck again.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Then you'll just have to make another right, and u-turn, then another right. ;-)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, but the officer was right. We debate helmet laws and want our states to develop rules that make motorcycling safer. Then an idiot like this one breaks the law and most likely went to the bar to whine to his buddies.

First you obey the law and then you have it changed. If you want motorcycling to be taken seriously then everyone who owns one is obligated to obey the rules of the road.

We as a group tell our government that motorcyclist are responsible and mature and do not need their help in keeping ourselves safe. Then some knuckle head goes down the interstate doing a wheelie, takes a corner at ridiculous speeds, splits lanes at 80 mph, etc and splatters him/herself all over the pavement.

They use this cases to build their argument for more rules and regulations against motorcyclist. Raise all our insurance rates because we ride. Look at dress codes for riders, helmets are only the beginning. Instead of proving them wrong, we tell them their being unfair, I would never do that, etc.

Wow what a rant!

·
living in 3/4 time
321 Posts
Not an excuse but remember them Harley's is air-cooled not liquid cooled and sitting around in traffic can over heat them pretty quickly. Just playing devil's advocate and giving him the benefit of the doubt! Riding with a couple buddies who had HDs we got stuck in traffic and there temp gauge just started rising to the point we felt the best option was to ride the shoulder.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Trooper was right to bust him. Cars can often fit on the shoulder too, is it ok for them to bypass traffic just because they can too?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts