Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 bayou 250. It seems like every time my muffler gets submerged ( even when the airbox is dry) the engine dies out. Usually the only way to get it started again is to hold he throttle wide open until all the water exits the pipe. I've seen people get their mufflers wet all the time, why does water kill mine?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure. But I deff will nxt time. I know to start it again I have to open it up all the way

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Be careful too because water CAN get sucked into the motor from the exhaust when it's starting to die out. I remember if we let of the gas on the 3 wheelers we'd have to pop out the plugs and dry the cylinders before it would start again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang. I want to snorkel it with PVC, but what's the point if it can still die b/c of water in the exhaust..

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
You will generally find that any vehicle that has a snorkelled air intake will also have a raised exhaust for the same reason.

Water in the exhaust will have the same effect as stuffing a potato in the pipe.
Without the free flow of gasses both in and out the engine cannot run.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YeAh but nobody makes a kit for a 250. Maybe I can weld some metal conduit between the pipe And muffler and bend it up like a ******* snorkel. If I get the balls/money/time to do it I'll let yall know

·
Registered
628 Posts

I've drove that 4 wheeler to where the snorkel was 4" above the water. I think what it has to do with on yours is not where it exits, but how. Look at your 4 wheeler exhaust pipe tomorrow and see if you can't see a pipe inside of a pipe coming out of the back of your muffler. The outer pipe isn't under enough back pressure to keep the water out and as soon as you start into the water part of your muffler fills with water. Enough baffle plates blocked by water sloshing around and your back pressure is all screwed up.

My exhaust comes straight out in a single 1" pipe about 2" long. The exhaust comes flying out of there even at an idle so the muffler never gets a chance to let water into the muffler itself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That must be what it is. Mine looks like the guy before me backed into a tree or somthing. There is no final exiting pipe. It's all crunched in and I can see the holes in the inside of the actual muffler

edit
yeah I just checked the schematic and the part called baffel Kawasaki number 49099-1249 is either not there or all screwed up. Could this damage/sabatoge be messing with engine preformance also?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Less likely to affect final engine performance. More likely to affect water crossing and possibly US forestry approval. What I recommend you do, and this is just me, is take your muffler to a muffler shop and have them terminate the guts in a small diameter piece of pipe that sticks inside the muffler for at least 2 inches. Weld a plate around the pipe and to the rest of that crumpled mess to keep the water out. You'll be fine as far as flow goes as long as you don't decide to go building a drag engine out of that bayou and you'll possibly be able to do some deep water crossings.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok here are some pics of the muffler all jacked up
this is one that shows you how bad its crunched. gotta love those tires im runnin hahaha they suck

and this is a pic of the inside. straight shot to the actual pipe with just the holes on either side

·
Registered
628 Posts
got a welder? haha. I think you've located your problem. A little bit of water in just a few of those holes and your engine can't run. Either buy a new exhaust pipe, or rig that one to work.

A piece of plate with a 1" pipe welded inside of it. Grind everything sticking out off smooth and then weld the plate to the back of that muffler with the piece of pipe inside of your muffler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wait the pipe i weld to the flange should go back inside the muffler? what about sticking out the back at all? and how in or out of the muffler should the pipe protrude?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I wouldn't want anything sticking out that I could catch my leg or something on. All you need is a short piece of pipe to keep the water from filling into the muffler. Do you want it sticking out or would you rather it was hiding inside? The total length of the pipe should be 2" or so.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd probably go smaller and lighter but if that's what you have, rock out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts