Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Vulcan 900 and today I noticed a coolant leak coming form a small "weep-hole" on the bottom of the crank case (RH side). When ask about it, the service dpt said it was probably a water seal for the water pump.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone have a repair manual that states how big a job this is to replace?

Of course my warranty ran out in June!!!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kenny

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Vulcan twins are (can be) notorious for having loose coolant hose clamps. I've had loose hose clamps on both my Vulcans's, and would ahve sworn the leak was coming from somewhere other than the hose clamp until I got real serious about finding the source.

I'm not saying this is the source of your leak, but it's worth checking. I replaced 1/2 dozen or so loose hose clamps on my V2K.

8,922 Posts
I have an '06 Vulcan 900 and today I noticed a coolant leak coming form a small "weep-hole" on the bottom of the crank case (RH side). When ask about it, the service dpt said it was probably a water seal for the water pump.

Has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone have a repair manual that states how big a job this is to replace?

Of course my warranty ran out in June!!!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kenny
Mine does kind of the same thing only it's not really a leak more like a seep every once in a while, I noticed it cleaning the bottom of the bike, a small white trail from the weep hole where coolant had run out and evaporated, so I started watching it, it seems to seep after riding and then sitting for a day or so, not even enough to drip on the ground, never had to add coolant, asked dealership about it and they thought it was about a two hour job to replace the mechanical water pump seal, sevice manual says to drain coolant,drain engine oil,pull exhaust,remove right frame downtube,right engine cover,remove waterpump impeller, remove old seal, install new seal, repace gaskets and o-rings, put every thing back together and refill, they said my warranty will cover it and so will my extended warranty, I just don't know if it's worth it , I've never had to add coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I keep having a small leak under the tank. is it the clamps again or something worse???? i hope not worse and if it is clamps are herer any that can hold up to not need repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy has a 06 900 and is having the same issue with a small amount of coolant leaking out of the seep hole. We are just researching on what to do and whether it's even worth worrying about yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone figure this out for sure? I just noticed my bike doing this as well. small weep hole on the right side. the cooland leaks onto the oil draig plug. and I havent driven my bike at all lately, it's just been sitting

·
Registered
2 Posts
We ordered a new gasket and water pump seal kit, its a common problem and it is fairly straight foward to repair. Follow the instructions from Badmedicine in a post on this topic above. If you are mechanicly inclinded it shouldn't be problem but make sure you give yourself enough time because you will have to remove a number of parts to get to it but it's just that removing a bunch of parts so it's fairly straight forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts