Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can anyone help please?
I am in the process of building a Dune Buggy and have bought a 1999 ZRX 1100 for the motor, the bike has been in a front end collision, but with no visible signs of damage to the engine, however the rad and oil cooler are damaged so are the Exhaust down pipes.
My problem is that I have water and oil mixing; this problem was not there before the crash, so where is the most likely place to look, to resolve this problem??

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
more info needed

Are you seeing oil mixed into your cooling system? or are you seeing
coolant mixed into your oil, producing a milk shake in the crankcase?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The motor is obviously up and running but in the Bike or the Buggy ?

I ask as it could be possible that you have miss connected a pipe somewhere allowing coolant to mix with the oil this would be easier to do if the motor is not in familier surroundings.. Ie your Buggy..

It seems strange that you had damage to the Radiator and Oil cooler and now have the two liquids they carry mixing..

The front end must of been quite hard to do this damage so i would also be looking very closely for signs of further damage around the Cylinder Head and Block...you only need a very small fracture say between the Water jacket and oil passage and the two will mix..

:( :( :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Engine is still in the bike frame
is there any type of testing for cracks that can be done
while the engine is in position?

Thanks

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but couldn't a compression test or a cylinder leak-down test be done to check for internal damage such as a crack in the cyclinder wall or head/head gasket?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just read your post again and didn't notice the first time..You say it's a ZRX1100 they don't have an oil cooler.
Could you mean a ZX1100 as they do have a cooler..(ZZR1100)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts