Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tightening a header clamp on a 1983 KZ550 and the bolt broke! I'm talking about one of the bolts that comes out of the engine and holds the header clamp on. How can I replace that? I was told that these are double threaded, and there is a lot of bolt still poking out, but I can't seem to loosen it up. Any suggestions? Thanks! --Lex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Broken Bolts

You have a problem, but it can be beaten. Their are two choices, heat it or drill it out. All depends on how much is sticking out. If you can get a nut on it and weld the nut onto the broken stud, then you could heat the steel stud (not the aluminum, it tends to tighten up before it swells) quench the stud with cold water to crack the rust. Then heat it again and put a socket on the nut which you welded on and work it ever so slowly until you can get the stud moving. Then take it out. Be prepared to repair the threads with a Heli-coil if the threads come out with the stud. If you drill it out then you still have to Heli-coil it back down to the correct stud size. It all depends on your skill level. If all else fails, take it too a repair shop. But they will charge heavy for it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weird problem

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! One quick question - Is it a bad idea to ignore it? There was some exhaust coming out of there initially, but that seems to have stopped. It just seems like a lot of work (or money) to get that bolt taken care of, and if it's not a big deal could I just leave it like that? I've heard it's very bad to have exhaust coming out of there, but I'm not sure why. thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bad idea

It's not a good idea too just leave it, I have a friend with a GSXR who left a broken stud in his # 4 cylinder exhaust port, only because we were 20 hours from a garage. By the time we got it back to my shop it had melted part of the hole where the header mates up. We ended up having to weld some aluminum back into the port then machine it back to size. All for a $4.00 stud. That and the noise was totally un bearable. There is one other possibiltiy, depending on how large the hole is on the exhaust, you could thread a union onto the broken stud, then screw a bolt into the union so that it puts equal psi on the exhaust flange. Sometimes you can get away with this. Just remember it's only a bandaid fix. Not permanent.
Remember in the end you want to be riding a dependable bike. Don't cheap out on what's going to bring you home. Treat it like a good woman, a little TLC and some good maintenance, then you will always want to ride it ...

You must decide, it's your concience

1 - 4 of 4 Posts