Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of times I've been riding I've noticed an odd sound coming from my bike. After I've just let out the clutch in first and second gear I get this gravelly/rumbling kinda sound coming from what sounds like the engine, maybe in front or below it. I've only noticed it happening in the lower gears (maybe because wind speed doesn't allow me to hear it in the higher gears) and only after I've let the clutch out and I'm getting up to speed. I haven't nailed down any rpm range, but I know it isn't a constant thing, only when I'm in the lower range of the gear. It has me a little worried. I bought it brand new less than a year ago and I have nearly 10K miles on it. I had maintenance done to it at 7K miles (had valves adjust, carbs synched, general maintenance). I've only noticed this on the last few times I've ridden it. Performance doesn't seem to be affected (as far as I can tell). Could it be my chain, like the front sprocket is worn or something? I've tightened my chain recently but I haven't checked if it has reached the stretch limit. I admit that I don't do as much chain maintenance as I should. Lemme know what ya'll think.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you have access to a vacuum gauge - I'd check the sync on the carbs. Sometimes it can make a clunking sound that is unnerving.

QK will give you a better diagnosis though.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
1Adam12 said:
1. If you have access to a vacuum gauge - I'd check the sync on the carbs. Sometimes it can make a clunking sound that is unnerving.

2. QK will give you a better diagnosis though.
1. not sure how carb synch would give him odd sounds :?:
2. THANKS, ill try. :wink:

GORILLAHANDZ------ when you TIGHTENED your chain did you set it to SPEC ?? have you cleaned/lubed it lately ? has it been 3k since you lubed/cleaned the chain ? my advice is set the chain slack to SPEC, then WD-40 it till clean, then lube with MAXIM CHAIN WAX (or whatever you want to use) sounds like chain noise to me. good luck :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QuickEnough nailed it. After doing a thorough cleaning, adjusting, and lubing of the chain the mystery noise is no longer a mystery and is no longer present. I was hoping it would just be the chain. Well, I've learned my lesson regarding regular chain maintenance, plus this new stuff I'm trying (PJ1 Clear) seems to work great. However, judging by the slight wear on my rear sprocket I'm gonna have the replace both sprockets and the chain soon. Thanks, guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts