Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Just picked up a 99 Nomad a few months ago. Searching seems all I have to worry about is the POG. Thinking about getting a new steel one for 2000 and newer and just welding it on after removing pos plastic gear. Use my mig welder with solid wire and shielding gas. Could get the use of a TIG welder also. Of course will make a cover for behind gear to stop any stray welding bb's from getting where they shouldn't be. I have welded shift levers on my sons moto x race bikes and if I have to remove or split case later the weld can be taken off with a grinder. If heat is an issue (due to seals) I can use a heat dam/sink behind gear. Anyway would appreciate any input from those that have knowledge with gear replacement or welding experience. Is the new kawasaki gear mild steel or cast? Another option would be to drill gear and shaft and install roll pin. Have mounted many gears in industrial settings with alot more stress on them then an oil pump gear should ever see. Will keep posted with pics.
Thanks

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
If you tig it you don't have spatter to worry about. But I thought that there was an OEM replacement that you could get. I would assume you wouldn't have to weld anything.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I believe there is an OEM replacement gear that is easy to install. I have heard of Kawi doing this for free even on older bikes. I assume this is because if was such a poor engineering job to start with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there is an OEM replacement that I can use without pulling the engine and spliting cases that would be the best. Any info would be great. I thought OEM was replacing if the POG went bad, but they (dealer) would still have to take motor apart. I'm trying to avoid this and replace mine before it fails. I have all winter to get this done. I was was going to take clutch side cover off and remove clutch to get to the gear and oil pump drive shaft.

·
Registered
887 Posts
any oem gear (steel or plastic) would require spliting the cases, but the Judge's (described above) can be done with out spliting. A little more technical, but doable, and are supposed to be as reliable as the oem steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts