Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently added some front floorboards to my 2000 VN 800 Classic. After riding for a couple hundred miles I find that I'm not too happy with the position of the brake pedal between the borad and crash bar. (Adjustment did'nt help) I want to weld an extention to the pedal lever, but don't know what kind of metal it is made of. I always thought it is steel, but after looking, it appears to be some kind of chrome plated cast. Before I go hacking into the project and possibily ruin a $80 part, I was wondering if anyone knows for sure what it's made of or has ever done this type of modification before. Thanks Kevin

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Have you checked it with a magnet to see if it is steel? It is probably plated so you will mess up that when you cut and weld.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
^ +1 its most likely a mild steel with chrome pickeling covering(so if you take a wire grinding wheel it would come off similar to the bluish finish on other steels that can be brushed off to create the steel color). But just make sure you disconnect the ground. Interesting things happen when you ground it and start welding with the battery still connected ;) <wink wink> and try to weld it where it would be less visible to the public

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, It's going to screw up the finish, so maybe a powder coated when it's finished. I'm removing the pedal before fab and welding. I just want to make sure I don't screw it up by trying to weld a cast part. Thanks Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts