Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just past 29,000 miles on my 2006 1600 Classic. My first true failure of the bike is a gas gauge that won't go below 2/5ths of a tank. It just keeps reading the second hash mark but when the fuel gets low enough the fuel light still comes on.

Other than that, I had a right rear turn signal light bulb blow out a year ago and I am on my 3rd headlight bulb.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to. :wink:

·
Army Strong. Ride Long
587 Posts
That's not too bad of a track record. I have an '05 1600 Classic with 13000 miles (bought it used with 2k miles on it) and haven't had anything (knock on wood) go wrong. Just kept up with normal maintenance.

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
07 1500 Classic with 47+K miles....

1. Cam Chains needed tensioner extenders
2. Water pump gasket blew

Thats it other than normal maintenance items like oil, fluids, breaks and tires. Not one bulb failure, kind of wishing my head lamp would blow so I can switch to the Wagner bulb but no, it just keeps going and going....

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
07 1500 Classic with 47+K miles....

1. Cam Chains needed tensioner extenders
2. Water pump gasket blew

Thats it other than normal maintenance items like oil, fluids, breaks and tires. Not one bulb failure, kind of wishing my head lamp would blow so I can switch to the Wagner bulb but no, it just keeps going and going....
Actually I did do the cam chain tensioners but I look at that as maintenance since it was quick and cheap anyway.

I switched to the Wagner BP1210 and keep the factory one wrapped in the Wagner package and some thin foam around it stored in my saddlebag as a spare. You'll really benefit from the brightness of that Wagner light, day or night.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yall are doing good. I had a 01 Nomad-FI. I bought it in Nov. 05 with 7200 miles. Sold it in March 09 with 40K. Replaced the final drive at 15K,Ignition switch at 30K,Instrument cluster at 38K and developed a oil seep on the cam plugs at 24K,patched with ATV twice.

·
Registered
406 Posts
2003 nomad 1500

Yall are doing good. I had a 01 Nomad-FI. I bought it in Nov. 05 with 7200 miles. Sold it in March 09 with 40K. Replaced the final drive at 15K,Ignition switch at 30K,Instrument cluster at 38K and developed a oil seep on the cam plugs at 24K,patched with ATV twice.
WOW!! well, i have a 2003 nomad 1500 with 98,280 miles, bought it with 38,000 so far i did the cam tensioners at 50,000 stators at 70,000 or so, neck bearings at 77,000 three clutch springs, no other big issues to speak of, tomorrow i plan to drain and replace the coolant, the water pump it's been seeping a litle oil at the tip of the weep hose, but so far, very reliable, it just runs and runs, and i ride it very hard, sustained speeds of 90-95 miles an hour on long trips, with an occasional burst up to 120, (which i shouldn't) so i think i am just going to keep it and re-build the motor when it poops.

no final drive problems yet, or driveshaft, no electric, or electronic malfunctions whatsoever, although, shifting has become a bit erratic, sometimes the shifter seems to be stuck at a hard point, but a slight kick and it goes in.

Jesus

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm at 21,000 and my gas gauge just started doing the same thing!!! It did it once at the beginning of the year, but then it was fine the whole summer, but then at the end of the season it started doing it all the time.

Like you - I'm just using the low fuel light at the end of tank. Pretty small problem - but like you, the first thing to "go" on this awesome bike!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.