Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old bike guy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for about 45 years or so, been about a million miles on motorcycles and have some "rules" I try to follow. One of them is to turn my head and take a god look before proceeding to go, turn, or whatever. A couple of years ago I was participating in the "Day after ride" connected with the BSA Owner's Club of Northern California's All British Show that occurs every spring in or around San Jose, CA. I was riding my old 1970 Triumph T120R Bonneville and we were on the Coaatal Highway. I say "we" as there were several older bikes and riders in the group I was riding with. As we proceeded southbound, a couple of us missed a turn to the east off the the coastal hiway and wound up stopped on the side of the road, trying to figure out what we should do....turn around or what? We did decide to turn around and, ignoring my own "RULES", I just looked behind me in my mirror and did not turn my head to look for any oncoming (overtaking) traffic and, seeing no one in my mirror, proceeded to head out onto the highway to make a "U" turn. I was VERY, VERY LUCKY that day, as a Chevy Suburban was headed south at about 60 MPH and the driver was paying attention! If he had not been paying attention and had not dodged around me making my u turn, I would've most likely been instantaneously killed while being turned into a hood ornament on a suburban! I thank my lucky stars for that driver having been paying attention, as I was NOT!

That was a lesson re-learned and VERY STRONGLY emphasized! NEVER make a move or a turn without LOOKING where you are going. NEVER trust the mirrors...LOOK! Turn your head!

I am very lucky to be alive today after having ignored one of my own rules and common sense. So, I say to all of you...."Turn your head and LOOK!" Don't get killed trying to save 1/2 of a second. Oh...and, MAKE IT A RULE that you never, ever ignore!

·
Santa Ana, CA
99 Posts
yeah, look before changing lanes or anything else either. if I'm clear up a head, I like to keep cross checking until I'm fully over, just to make sure someone isn't speeding across lanes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And if you're in Florida, where everyone's a psycho on the road, you have to not only check the lane you want to enter, but also the lane past that. Plus you have to check double the distance backwards because these idiots drive up to and over 20 mph faster than the regular flow of traffic and treat all other vehicles like obstacles in a video game. They will literally appear out of nowhere two lanes over and will swerve right into where you expect to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts