Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I should post something in here as well and say Hi. I'm purchasing a '04 Ninja 250R next month... MSF starts March 04, and the time just passes too slowly...

I've been reading these forums for a while as I'm aware you have better ammunition for tackling something you haven't done by seeking advice of those who have done.

Thanks for the open quality of the forums it's been an excellent resource thus far...

Keep it up!

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Glad to have ya, get the basics out of the way at the MSF course and you'll be a step ahead. A 250 is a great first bike, not too much power for ya.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehehe... yeah, no foolin' good thing I got my helmet in today...

I think I got lucky, I ordered it sight unseen but it fits perfectly... :eek:

next week it's my MSF... week after that I hopefully get my last check for the bike...

*waits franticly* :(

I guess it's not too bad since it's not April... I would probably go insane :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe, actually I looked at some smaller helmets of the same brand at a dealership and noted my mellon was too big so I ordered a size larger online and was pleasantly surprised... :wink:

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Freakinout said:
go to dealer, try on helmet for 25 minutes or so, then order the same helmet for 100 bucks less of the net...
In the real world you can get differences from one batch to the next and have two "identical" helmets in the same size from the same manufacturer fit differently.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
Freakinout said:
go to dealer, try on helmet for 25 minutes or so, then order the same helmet for 100 bucks less of the net...
In the real world you can get differences from one batch to the next and have two "identical" helmets in the same size from the same manufacturer fit differently.
you are correct, but I have to do things thrifty, although www.newenough.com just started selling HJC helmets, and since they are 10 miles away I can now go there. Although I just got a new helmet a couple of weeks ago and won't need another new one for 2 or more seasons. The dealerships here don't seem to carry very high end helmets, only about the $100 range ones, half of their stock isn't even Snell certified.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Good point you brought up, how long is a helmet good for ?

Check your helmet for damage, simply having it drop from the seat of your bike can compromise the integrity. The shell and the inner foan can be affected by constant exposure to sunlight, sweat, haircare products, insect repellant or sunscreen.

2 or three years seems to be the reasonable lifespan for a helmet with 5 years being the absolute maximum you should keep it. Matter of fact most manufacturers stamp the date of manufacture somewhere in the helmet. Take care when storing it. And don't assume that since it's made to protect in a crash that it's indestructible. It protects only if it's in a like new condition.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, just thought I'd say thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I recently picked up Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" and after reading about half of it I'm feeling a lot more confident about taking the course.

Hehe, just have to wait a few more days...

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Aikata said:
Hey, just thought I'd say thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I recently picked up Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" and after reading about half of it I'm feeling a lot more confident about taking the course.

Hehe, just have to wait a few more days...
Good book, I'm currently reading TOTW 2, which is at my level now that I've put 8K miles on my bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on, I actually bought them both at the same time. I'm only really able to take theory and concepts from the book. But it's good to have something to feed the part of me that's hungry for motorcycle... :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts