Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding in Eastern CT on Saturday afternoon enjoying the fantastic weather. Riding on a two way road going about 50 mph, I approached a car stopped in the opposite lane with it's left turn signal on. As I got closer to the stopped car, another car came up behind it. The car did not see the stopped vehicle and came into my lane to avoid impact with the stopped car. I tried to go right and get away but instead was hit and thrown about 100 feet up the road. I came to a stop in the street and realizied my need to get out of the road in case a car didn't stop for the crash. I crawled to the side of the road and laid there until the ambulance took me away, neck brace, body board and all.
Before

After

Gear

I was treated and released for road rash and bruising to my right forearm, left knee, bruising on my hands, and a few scrapes to my hands. The trooper that interviewed me in the ER said the women who cut into my lane admitted fault, that she was following to close and not paying attention.

The reason I'm posting isn't to show off how sad my bike looks now, although it breaks my heart to see my baby literally in 2 pieces! I need to stress that the only reason I am alive is because of my helmet. I felt my head hit multiple times during the crash and without it there is no doubt that I wouldn't be alive. So please, wear your gear, I'm out of riding until the fall (I have a baby due in a few weeks, my wife was not too thrilled to come get me from the ER in her preger state, but glad I was alive :), plus I have to get all the insurance stuff straightened out). But if by seeing these pictures it gets one person to ride with their lid, then at least something positive came out of this. Ride safe guys and tell those you love, you love them... you never know if you will have another chance.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
AMEN you are all right...and AMEN you were wearing your gear...saved your life or a life you wouldnt want...may you heal quickly and your bike be erplaced soon...truely glad youre alive. Prayers and Blessings!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not to mention your riding jacket. Without that you wouldnt have skin on half of your upper body.

I wear a jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots when I plan to go over about 35mph. And those pics show why.

Glad your ok.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
Wow!! You are one lucky guy (maybe 2). Buy a lottery ticket. Gear or not that could/should have messed you up real bad.
I have seen on number of occasions that people will swerve out of the way of a collision with a car into a "smaller" collision with a bike. Obviously I've been lucky too, wasn't in the part of the lane they wanted, and had time and room to avoid.
I started wearing a full face after my last bad spill. My half lid and face shield looked like your helmet.
I am also an ATGATT believer. Glad you are too. Your baby will be glad too.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
true on the jacket, went down at 40 mph and slide 120 ft, got up with basically no road rash

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I can't see the pics here at work but I hear ya. I preach it to my daughter so I have to ride with the gear too. I do skimp out on riding pants at times though. Been thinking of buying some dragging jeans for that just in case protection. Glad to hear you're basically good to go!!

·
WTF keeps ticking?!?!
1,334 Posts
Wowwwww. Glad you are okay. ATGATT.

How ya holding up mentally? When I went down I had nightmares for a few days after.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you're ok!The bike is replaceable,but your life is not.I always wear a helmet no matter what,and seeing your pictures reinforces why I always wear my gear...You never know when the unexpected can happen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's always crazy to see some guy fly down the highway with no helmet on.

I dont judge others choices (I cant stand it when people do it to me) buy I just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
****! I was thinking exact same thing when I saw pics of helmet. WOW. So glad you are ok...and definitely a story that needed to be shared.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Wowwwww. Glad you are okay. ATGATT.

How ya holding up mentally? When I went down I had nightmares for a few days after.
Yeah, hopefully this is a safe place to talk through that stuff. I still have the willies when approaching a tight turn. Working through them and forcing myself to get into those turns.

Hell even driving by my wreck site in a car makes me relive it and it's been what...about 8 months now.

Take care.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
...the women who cut into my lane admitted fault, that she was following to close and not paying attention...
Or too busy texting/calling to pay attention to the road. I would investigate her calling records to see for sure.

Sure glad you are OK. Nothing like a little lid skid to reinforce the need to wear a helmet.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the new baby to be!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your crash... A head on collision?! Man, all things considered, you were so lucky! After my crash (years ago) my helmet looked like yours, my bike had comparatively little damage, but I had many broken bones--and years of surgery ahead of me.

Enjoy your newborn, and give your wife a few extra long hugs!

Windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
OMG. I'm SO sorry! You only have to take one look at that helmet to know that helmets do, in fact, save lives, despite what some people would have you believe. A friend of mine went down and landed on her chin. Her FF helmet was destroyed, but her face didn't even have a scratch on it. These are good lessons for all of us.

I'm so thankful that you weren't hurt worse. And so sorry about your beautiful bike. :-(

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
Good to hear yer gonna be OK, ... +1 fer always hav'in a lid on the melon, even if it aint required by law. You could be the safest biker out there but still be the misfortune of a cager's ignorant mistake. Get well bro.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts