·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.... They say there is three types of riders:

Those who have Fallen
Those who will fall
and Those who will fall again

I have entered into the "Those who have fallen" catagory.

A buddy on his '03 VFR 800 and I on my '01 ZX-6 went Carving on a road that leads to a place called Tortilla Flats and which has some VERY good twisties... I came out of a 90 Degree Right hand turn on a downward slope and misjudged (My Fault #1) the distance to the next corner (a VERY hard 130 degree left.) I tried to slow down by grabbing a couple of gears, feathering the front brake, and pulsing the back brake( to avoid the back tire locking up). My freakn back tire locked up anyway and I started to slide (Bald Back tire- My Fault #2).

The plan at this point was to let off the brake as I entered the apex of the corner and gas the **** out of it to pull through the corner, BUT NO! I target fixated (Looked where I was going, not where i wanted/needed to go) and missed my line on the apexof the corner (My fault #3). I then hit the white line on the right of the road and the bike started to low side (slide out from under me) because I was trying to lean into the left hand turn. Well I felt the bike coming out from under me and shifted my weight forward, the bike came off the paint grabbed the asphalt and sent me over the high side (Off the right side over the bars).

I did a complete flip and landed on the back of my helmet and shoulders... then bounced right onto my butt. Somewhere in the flip I caught my left arm on the ground and dislocated my shoulder.

Luckily I was riding with someone that owned a truck so we left and came back for my bike.

My bike is not that bad considering the 10-15 feet of asphalt it crossed.
The damage is:
Right Side fairing- scratched pretty bad but thats a badge of honor and
not a big deal.
Brake lever mount- busted
Right side of a dual exhaust- Toast
Right side blinker, reflector, mirror- Broke
Crank case cover- Cracked and spewing

My Pride.... bruised, battered, and limping.

I will post pics when I get them out of my buddies camera...

This happened about 7 hours ago and I am starting to feel like I got hit by a truck...Sore and still all hopped up on adrenaline...

Anyone know a good place for ZX6 parts??? :)

Tiny4409
On the D/L

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have to disagree with the statement there are those who have fallen and those who will fall...This is my first season with my license but I've been riding for years on others bikes and a dual sport when I was really little, I've yet to crash, the bike has tilted on me on some bad surfaces but nothing that I didn't catch...so I plan on never crashing but I always wear gear just in case.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ouch - did the superman and high sided......

At least you are still breathing. Sorry to here about the flight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most importantly, you know what you did wrong, so you can learn from it. And you will be around to learn from it because you were properly equipped gear-wise. Don't let your ego get bruised too much, hope you aren't too sore.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Tiny4409 said:
Anyone know a good place for ZX6 parts??? :)

Tiny4409
On the D/L
Here are 2 places you can get parts for just about any bike. First go to kawasaki.com and get the part numbers, then go to these sites and find out how much it will cost and order them.

http://www.bikebandit.com/

http://www.worldofpowersports.com/

As far as the adrenaline, thats about the only cool thing in a wreck. Its prolly about the biggest rush you'll ever get. Although I was way too mad to really care at the time.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yep...Tortilla Flats has pretty tight corners, its an awesome ride but very, very challanging. Glad your alright, bikes are replaceable, riders are not!!!
I see your new to the Kawi Forum...post an intro under "Main Lobby".....and check out "Rides and Rallies" for upcoming rides in Arizona. Post your pics of todays ride under "show off your ride."

In the meantime, drinks lots of water and get some rest!!

NinjaGirl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMFG am i sore....

Thanks for the replies... and the links for parts... I actually went to a Sting concert here in Phx tonight... I have had the tickets for months so I did not want to miss it, but OMFG am I sore... I have pains in places I did not even know were on my body!!

P.S. The concert was great!

Tiny4409

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hopefully the concert took your mind off the hurt for awhile.

Take ibuprofen to help keep the swelling in check and ice down for minutes at a time. At night if you take a bath with Epsom salt that will help as well.

Keep massaging the areas that hurt even if you don't want to. It will help keep the blood circulating and take the acid that is accumulating in your muscles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear you went down.

Great choice of roads to ride on though! I'm sorry, I don't really know of any places to pick up ZX6 parts though. Hope the recovery goes well...

take care...

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ill keep my comments to myself about riding that way at TTF. :roll:

but call SRAXIS and BOBS to find parts. :wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad your alright... Same thing happened to me back in June.. Got tossed but I was doing 60mph, did a slide for about 30 feet and the bike went a little further and stupid me had a T-shirt and shorts on... Cut my arms up and my legs, but i never broke anything or dislocated anything thank god.. But you will end up spending a couple of $$$... I got my parts from Ronayer.. They are very quick and have good prices... Get well man and get some GEAR( sux that we have to learn that lesson the hard way)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
parts and comment(s)

Parts you can replace...easy enough...body parts drinking water, soaking in epsom salts massaging, icing and elevating...all good honest to truth things that you should be doing worry about getting solidly on your feet before working on the bike..you can order parts from the bed or couch...bathroom...just get rest fluids and be gentle untill your body sorts out all the kinks... I disagree with Stuart finally. Ther are those that WIll go down, have been down, and will go down again...ego will not keep you like an eagle, even driving like a bluehair won't prevent it...You WILL eventually go down...don't be so full of yourself not to believe so...it could get you killed thing like that...and WE don't want that...The ONLY reason I'm yelling at you is because I (and the rest of the forum do not want to see someone that is fat-headed end up in a box...it ruins our dayand the excitement...you can't say things like that and get by with them, I don't care if you are the Governor of the state you live in...or Senator, or mayor of a town,city...bull...don't for a matter believe in something that you have NO control over. Staying aware may prevent it for a long time...but it will happen. I have a friend that didn't fall till he was 86 years old on his BMW. He had Hundreds of thousands of miles and rode harleys, then hondas then switched over to BMW's and wore one out literally in Michicgan, crossing the USA many times before he bought his second one and had over 100,000 miles on it before he dropped it in his very own driveway! Tires, to fast, target fixation...time to take an Adanced MSF course...Now is the time to sign up...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ouch...how'd you manage to re-locate yer shoulder?? Happened to me twice, it was always ended up being very painful 'cause it took hrs before i could get to a doc...

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I think he's all right, he went down over 2 years ago. ;-)

Like Tom the Topic Miner says:

This vein has played out. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts