Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, it must be nerve racking to finally get out there and be exposed. No more parking lots and 2 mile rides down the street.
Im trying to help myself and I've gotten into the habit of looking at the road in my car as i drive.. I've never realized how many pot holes, bumps and hazards there are for a bike to get in trouble with.!Any tips or suggestions to make this easier to get into?
One thing im really nervous about is highway driving..but can ya blame me?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Im trying to help myself and I've gotten into the habit of looking at the road in my car as i drive.. I've never realized how many pot holes, bumps and hazards there are for a bike to get in trouble with!

What you're doing is great! I do a lot of highway driving, especially to work and back. Getting to know the highway you'll be travelling on a lot is a good move. I know where every pothole, groove and bumps are by making mental notes as I drive past them in my car and bike. Also remember that there will be debris on the highway too that you won't be expecting...wood, metal, re-treads from trucks. Just be aware and you'll be okay. And remember, be DEFENSIVE and watch out for the other drivers! Seems like most of them either don't care about bikers or just don't see us.

Have fun, be safe and enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's good to be nervous, it'll help to keep you alive. When I first started riding I wasn't so much nervous. I was more concerned about being embrassed by things like stalling out the bike at an intersection or having it go over on it's side through a turn. Yeah that sucked. I've seen people put their kickstand down in a grate and watched the bike go over. Funny, but embrassing.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Im trying to help myself and I've gotten into the habit of looking at the road in my car as i drive.. I've never realized how many pot holes, bumps and hazards there are for a bike to get in trouble with.!Any tips or suggestions to make this easier to get into?
As you drive along, pretend you are actually riding. Talk out loud to yourself and describe what you see and ask yourself out loud how you should react if you were on the bike.

What are the potential hazards ahead, to the sides and approaching from behind?

How would you avoid those hazards if you had to?

Can you stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear?

What are the visual clues that a stretch of road may be hazardous? Signage? Road markings? Grippy high friction road surface? Flowers taped to a tree?

Are you making progress at an appropriate speed?

Are you in the correct gear?

Reply to yourself out loud too. This works. I still do this out of habit. It helps me make timely and appropriate decisions. Decisiveness is crucial to safe riding.

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
The first day?! Yup... nervous. But that probably helped keep me alert! I couldn't believe there I was, out on real roads with drivers that didn't know I was new, that it was my first day, that didn't care I just finished my class the day before... and the only protection I had was leather...

Advice?! Time and practice!!!

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
For some reason, I wasn't nervous at all.

The first time I ever rode a motorcycle on the street was when i rented a Harley 883 and had my girlfriend on the back. I wasn't scared at all because the 883 was so little. WE had an absolute blast together riding two up the first day and we travelled everywhere around town that weekend. :biggrin:

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I am always a tad nervous. Well, maybe not nervous, but, always thinking when I get near other traffic, what those fools might do and how to avoid being a statistic. And, remember, don't look down. Look where you are going.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like many have said; Its a good thing to always be a bit scared providing that makes you more alert and attentive. I think the big danger is when we get too much in a comfort zone where we forget to watch for things that we did in the beginning.

Along with this I'm beginning to believe more in the concept of "Object Fixation". That is, what you look at- there is where you will go. This is especially important in curves, turns and those milliseconds where you can avoid an accident (i.e are you fixating on the object you may hit or the safe path to avoid it?). Not to mention doing those U-turns during your MSF class.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
The first time? Yes. I "stole" my Dad's bike for a quick ride when I was 14 and I knew if he caught me it was all over but the crying. When I got home after a 3 mile jaunt I began to wonder if he kept tabs on the odometer mileage; kept me on the edge for days afterward.

·
KZ geezer
718 Posts
Not at all scared the first time. It was a natural progression from bicycles for me. I had had ridden bicycles for years as fast as I could in traffic, and I was getting tired of pedalling. In those days there was very little traffic to worry about, the bikes were light and low powered, so it didn't really matter if you shot through a stop sign out of control as there was nothing to hit, and no cops around!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, I was nervous the first time. First time riding on the street was in February 2005 - I hadn't been on a bike since the MSF class in September 2004 (which was my first time ever on a bike).

But I lived. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.. These are all great and very useful bits of info.
And Rocket 88.. i actually DO do A LOT of what you said there.. I've been driving my car and i have my right hand making believe to pull a invisible throttle and my left hand pulling the clutch..so on so fourth.. trying to get the muscle memory down. I realized that the less i thought about it, the smoother the transition. i think a lot of riding a bike it just to get out there and do it.
I just go back from the dealership and i have my heart set on a black 250r. BEAUTIFUL bike..if i get it i may think about painting it white during the winter months..who knows..
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thanks guys.. These are all great and very useful bits of info.
And Rocket 88.. i actually DO do A LOT of what you said there..
Good to hear.

I was cacking myself and loving it the first time I went out on a naked Honda 125. I thought I was the man, screaming along at 45mph. It was great and terrifying all at once. It still is sometimes, and it's a smidge faster now. ;) That's what makes it fun and keeps you sharp. If it wasn't a little scary now and again, you might as well take up knitting.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't know about scared, but everytime I ride, just before I get going I think about getting to my destination safely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts