Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an order for a ’08 Mean Streak (fire candy red). No test ride. Haven’t even heard it run. I just fell in love with the lines. Sitting on one felt right too. The bike reminds me of my last bike which was a ’74 Z1.

Now that the kids are in college, I’m making my come back. Bikes have changed so much since then. They are belt drive and shaft drive. Fuel injection is common and I hear they handle way better at speed.

So what’s the word on the mean streak? What is good? What is bad? It is obvious that the passenger seat is small. How fast is it? The spec’s suggest a low end power band. How does it handle bumps in corners? The Z1 got a little wiggly at times. I don’t plan to go crazy with it but I know I want to turn it loose through some corners.

I don’t plan to do long road trips. Been there done that. I did the sport bike thing once too. I once converted a Norton to a café racer (am I aging myself using café racer). That was the bike I sold for the Z1.

For a cruiser, how is the handling at slow speed. I rode a friends Harley soft tail for a weekend and I wasn’t impressed with the power it delivered or the low speed handling. In fact I sat on all the Harleys one Saturday and only the V-Rod got me to look twice.

I loved my Z1. Is the Mean Streak a Z1 incarnation? My Z1 was red too.

Mike from Florida

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had not rode since the mid 80's. Bought a honda 750 aero, traded it after 9 months for my 06 mean streak. The bike is awesome. It is very well balanced, good take off speed, handles great in the corners. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. Low speed handling is fine too. Have fun on the meanie....it's an awesome bike. Be sure and add some bling to it and give us some pictures!! I did not like the stock seat so I bought a Corbin Dual touring with the backrests. Some like it some don't...I love my Corbin. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The MeanStreak has plenty of power IMHO. Very stable slow and at speed. Takes curves well and, from my experience, can handle bumps well during. One thing you will notice during turns is that the stock pegs will scrape early. I have replaced mine with Jardines, because I am very tall, and have not ran into any peg scraping since. Has a good top speed, once again my opinion, I have had mine up to 120 and it is stock 'cept for pipes.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
It's a great bike, and likely the best handling cruiser out there right now.
The Mean Streak was my first cruiser, and I couldn't have been happier.

You won't be disappointed, not in the least.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
I put over 40,000kms on my 04 MeanStreak and loved it. It was my daily commuter, and I did several long trips on it. It is the best handling cruiser and lots of fun in the twisties. It is a cruiser so you will drag your pegs but you can still hustle it through the curves. The bike ran flawlessly. Congrats on your new bike! :)

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome

The bike looks so awesome! I'm not just talking about the special addition paint. That bike would look good in almost any color. I think that it will be all that I'm looking for in a bike.

I am posting photos of two awesome bikes from my past. The Norton I bought in England while stationed there. I rode it everywhere. Back then you couldn't find a highway all the roads where an adventure. I really learned to ride over there. My room mate at the time was seriously into club racing and was taking professional driving lessons. He shared his knowlege with me especially fast cornering.

You still had to be very careful. It was not uncommon to come flying around a turn and find a couple dozen sheep in the road. Or worse, what a couple dozen sheep might leave in the road. Maybe that is where the saying "Wholly Sheep _____" came from.

I Brought the Norton back to the states but one day I stopped at the Kawasaki shop to see this new 900cc bike I had heard about. I took it out for a ride. It was amazing. It went any speed you wanted with a twist of the wrist. The way it powered its way through third gear and then almost as well in fourth I was hooked.

I road that Z1 across the country twice. Road trips through New England and Canada and just about every road in central Massachussetts. I was the coldest and the hotest I have ever been on those bikes. One time, on the Norton, I road two solid days in 60 degree rain because I had to get back for work.

One night, while I was living in Louisiana, I came to a bump in the road I couldn't handle. A very drunk driver backed out of a bar parking lot right in front of me. The road was damp and all I could do was pick my spot. I buried that bike right into the truck area of a big Ford LTD. It was all slow motion like and I don't remember feeling scared. I stood up on the pegs did that Superman thing; or maybe the shot out of the cannon. Anyway by the grace of God and a lot of protective clothing I walk away from that with no serious injuries. I rebuild but I got gun shy and took up sailing. I figured windsurfing crashes had softer landings.

But now I'm back and I am sure excited to ride a Mean Streak. I don't plan on riding often at Midnight and I now have much wisdom from the past. I hope you like the photos maybe some of you owned one like them. If you did, you know they were the best bikes at the time.

To flarud who asked. I'm in Pensacola. Been here 29 years.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gday mate, I have an 06 meanie and couldn't be happier. It was great in stock condition I bought it and rode it home 1800 km's no trouble at all. If you want to throw some after market pipes on and an air kit with a fuel management system you'll unleash the mean in it's name. it sticks to the road well at all speeds and in my opinion is the most stable bike i've ridden. one last thing is the brakes they are tops, they stop you when you want them to so that unexpected clown in a car pulling out of a side street or carpark is easier to avoid. Congratulations on your purchase I'm sure you'll be smiling on your rides.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well I've had 6 rockets since 1989 and bought my Mean Streak new in 2005, I had to admit it handles like a rocket and I think it looks great. If you want more power I suggest an air kit, you will notice a big difference right away. Pipes, power commander and air kit, you will love it.....MARKY MARK'S BAD ASS V TWIN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts