1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get it. I can get it for 100 dollars

Kawasaki KDX 250

What do you think?

basically, it crashed it and ruined the motor. Got a motor put in from a KX Race bike 250. The bike has no license, but an ORV tag and Current tabs up to 2008.

Potential problems. No front brake lever, but the cable is there. I cant test it. Clutch is super hard to mess with. Ignition modual might not be the only issue making it not run, but he is fully convinced it is.

For 100 dollars I dont think i will go wrong, however its really my only spare change right now being in college. I have my endorsment, so cause this is an enduro, I want to get it back on the street. I think I can do that with a clean title.

So, what do you guys think? Oh yeah he says he put in a new alternator coil thingy. claims this motor runs, but has not run it himself.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
The father of a collage grad in me says, save your money and focus on school so you can nail down a profession and buy a new bike in the future.And the 20yr old rider in me says get the bike and if its too far gone or too expensive to get it up and running,you can always part it out on ebay.A 1980 anything is going to need more work than you have time and money for.Keep saving your money and buy something that runs latter on.Dont spend your last $100 on somebody elses non-running 30yr old junk! Oops, theres the dad again! :wink:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
If your money is tight then it's probably not a wise choice. You could easily spend $500+ just to get it running and streetable again. The fact that it isn't running means you can't check it out for function and are at the mercy of the seller as to what it actually needs before it will run again. And sellers are motivated to do one thing, sell their bike to someone else. Remember, buyer beware.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dont spend your last dollar to buy a non running bike, as you may find it has more problems than seller mentions, & stuck with trying to spend more than you can afford.

lets not forget so many idiots out here have supposedly clean titles & when you get it & go to DMV there are problems, like its signed on wrong line, ir person that sold it to you signed it but his name wasnt on title, or DMV needs a bill of sale from last registered owner who isnt the name on title. I have seen titles with names of buyer erased & person trying to sell claiming its ok. B.S. if DMV sees an erasure title is voided! & guess what you will need to either try a title service or go through a lot of red tape, & spend several hundred to get a title.

However!!!!!!!!!!!
if you have an e-bay account, look around e-bay. see what parts for this bike are selling for. not just the inflated prices people put & let them sit for long periods of time.
a motor that turns over with compression in my opinion would probably bring you your original investment back. then wheels, tires, bars, frame with "paper work" you might be able to turn $100 or less into $500 to $1000 which can buy you a running bike.

if you do e-bay price low & no reserve to almost guarantee a sell, let bidders run price up instead of pricing high & sitting on the parts for months. its worth it for the easier quicker cash.

anyway good luck what ever you decide,

Later,
Randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.