Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ya all know how it goes, ya look a one thing to add then another catches your eye. I'm adding new HK exhausts to my 1500 and now I was wondering if any one had any experience with the Kuryakyn hypercharger to get more air to the engine. Are they hard to install? Does it improve power like they Claim? Or is there a better option? Looking forward to your comments

kazoorider
2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link

I'm getting old and going blind, I missed that post. Beware !!!! OLD Blind Biker in Michigan!!!

Kazoorider
2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Intake and exhaust are the two most FAQ around here- so just look search through a few pages and you'll find lots of posts. The hypercharger sticks out and will be touching your right leg. I went with a Thunder intake.

Phatboy

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Phatboy....Can you give a description of your installation on the Thunder intake? I'd appreciate hearing how it went and if you had any surprises.

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Remove the stock air cleaner, few bolts, breather and electrical connections, not hard. Remove the cross over tube, a bit of a workout, not technicaly challenging, just a pain in the butt. Tape up the sensor wires, plug the vaccum lines, install the breather, oxygen sensor, thunder adapter, instal the new air cleaner, DONE!! Well now you do have to install the Power commander or TFI module.........

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
BFC said:
Remove the stock air cleaner, few bolts, breather and electrical connections, not hard. Remove the cross over tube, a bit of a workout, not technicaly challenging, just a pain in the butt. Tape up the sensor wires, plug the vaccum lines, install the breather, oxygen sensor, thunder adapter, instal the new air cleaner, DONE!! Well now you do have to install the Power commander or TFI module.........

Thanks BFC....I think if I go with the Thunder it should be easier since my bike is carb'd and not FI.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

just be sure to tape those sensor wires GOOD!
double tape them and tie them back,if they get bare and touch,they will freak out :wink:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
kazoorider
i highly recommend a hypercharger and then a dynojet power commander. i am very impressed with the performance that i have received from them. i would say to go with the Thunder Hypercharger kit though, over the Kuryakyn. the Thunder kit is supposed to have slightly better power results and not stick out quite as much as the kuryakyn. keep us posted on what you end up with.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yep- just like BFC and Bikaholic said. When I did mine my wires weren't taped up very well, actually the wires were tapes together toching :mad: I suck at all installs btw. But I finished and went to start the bike and it wouldn't start. Turns out that those wires were causing a short and I had to replace my fuse and rewrap the wires. It took a while to figure out what had happened. The guys at Thunder were great in helping me troubleshoot.

I'm not the only [email protected]$$ to do this either, I saw that Caddyman recently updated his install intruction to point out this potential problem. Live n learn.

Phatboy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i learned the hard way as well :grin:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quick question. Is there any real difference between the Kuryakyn Hypercharger

and the Kuryakyn Pro-series Hypercharger

I mean other than looks, is the extra money worth stepping into the Pro-series?

Thanks,
John

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
John....I'm not sure about that...have not read up on it....but you may also want to consider the Thunder Hypercharger as others (ispeed77) who have the Kuryakyn are saying that the Thunder performs better and does not stick out as far. Just a thought.

http://www.thundermfg.com/Pages/star1100.htm

·
Registered
806 Posts
I put a piece of shrink warp on each one of the sensor wires and left about an inch overhanging and then taped them up. Seems to work.

I researched the Kuryakyn versus Thunder Hyperchargers (included various threads from here) and most people I went to, and some with dyno testing, preferred Thunder. I ended up with the Round Air kit as I needed the Hypercharger sticking in my leg less than I needed the potential improvement. Personal choice and my 2 cents.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
john
i am not sure if there is a difference in power. i went with the pro series mainly because that was the one that i found the deal on. i also prefer the look of the pro. i would check their website and see what they have to say.

david

1 - 18 of 18 Posts