Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who didn't read my Triumph post, my brother is looking to replace his Ural. He now has his eye on the Moto Guzzi V7. What's the word on the street about their overall reliability? Are they put together well? How do they ride? Of course, what he really wants is a 1969 BMW R69/5, but fat chance finding one.

·
PH in training
5,111 Posts
I have one sitting in my garage with close to 200k miles on it. Maintenance isn't always cheap as there aren't that many dealers around, but it has been a good bike for over 30 years.

·
Hangin' by a thread.....
619 Posts
My buddy has a California cruiser and he loves it. It's pricey to buy and also to work on though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's not looking at Kawasaki, mostly because he's looking to maintain the same old school look of the Ural, and I don't think Kawasaki or any of the big Japanese makers have anything like that in their lineup.

·
Michigan Back Road Rider
293 Posts
I stopped by to visit an old neighbor and he is contemplating selling his Moto Guzzi due to health problems. I think he said it is a 1977 850Model. It only has 20 k on it and looks great. He has had this bike for the longest time with very little trouble.

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
For those of you who didn't read my Triumph post, my brother is looking to replace his Ural. He now has his eye on the Moto Guzzi V7. What's the word on the street about their overall reliability? Are they put together well? How do they ride? Of course, what he really wants is a 1969 BMW R69/5, but fat chance finding one.
maybe something like this?http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/1729761928.html

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I had one.....good bike but service and parts are a SOB. I would never touch another one unless I had a well-established dealer nearby, with a good parts inventory (took 5 months for a replacement brake cable...worse for exotic parts.

If it were my brother I would suggest a different make...NOT Kawasaki since those worthless dealers (many...not all !) are worse than the Guzzi . Buy your bike based on nearby dealer quality and service reputation......will be sorry if you ignore this advice.
from a 70 year old fart who has been there <G>

Slots

·
PH in training
5,111 Posts
I would agree about the dealer/parts. I am lucky to have a dealer about 30 miles away (was a nice ride Saturday) that has been working on Guzzi's since the early 70's. I can walk in and get just about any part I need and have them diagnose any problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts