Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to understand if there are any mods you can make to the 1600 w/o changing the pipes. I like that the 1600 is somewhat quiet, but after riding it for a few months...it seems a lot slower than it did when I first got on it. I love the size and look actually more than the 2000, but would like more power. I do also like that I'm not spewing more polutants into the air than I have too. Please help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Polluter?

I don't know if I can be of any help or not...If you drive, operate or work on internal combustion engines...you pollute, end of story. Increasing an engines HP could, in theory, increase it's efficiency and therefore introduce less pollutants per mile...something a tree hugger could appreciate in a twisted sortof way!
These engines are hand assembled to pretty exacting specs...the more mileage you put on the bike the more seat-of-the-pants "feedback" you should be getting...to a point...getting slower is a spacial thing, you simply are more accustomed to the "power" from 1600 polluting cc's.
Let's look at it from this perspective...Driving a motorcycle as apposed to a car, decreases your individual consumption of fossil fuel per mile driven. Increasing your mileage through modifications could extrapulate into more efficient use of fuel and therefore less-polluting...uh, sortof.
I highly recommend the use of a engine mgmt computer such as Power Commander III. Ahough I haven't checked the air quality at 40 stories...I can say the PC III makes ME feel better!
Changing the air filter system could realize some additional gains in HP and fuel efficiency...Look at several different types. You could change to synthetic motor oil, sometime after break-in. This, in theory, makes you less of a polluter by changing oil less frequently...Although I'm not aware of any "green" motor oils derived from JoJoba or Hemp Oils...but you could check with High Times Magazine or National Geographic on that.

Finally, there are more efficient modes of transportation and they pollute less ie: Vespa...If you're still wrestling with contaminating our environment, I would gladly take that nasty polluter off your hands for say $100.

Okay, I hope this info helped...Gotta run, CNN says Mount St. Helens is about to spew 2.2 billion pounds of particulate matter in the atmosphere...WOW!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

more power=more fuel and more air

if you let it in you gotta let it out-exhaust is a must to develope serious h/p

if your riding your bike alot you are already doing you part to ease pollution
i commend your concern for it.

the other mods you could make without intake/exhaust would not amount
to diddley :wink:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bikeaholic, what you say makes sense. If I decide to do some mods I remember reading someone who did both air, computer and pipes and got about 72 hp, I think I would feel that.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

indeed-the 1600 responds quite well to pipes/intake/remap 8)
and some pretty good tq #'s can be had :wink:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
pipes

there are pipes that will help increase your power but won't drown you out with noise. i don't own a classic so i am not sure which to recommend, but the cobras i had on my nomad at first were very pleasant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I stopped by the kawasaki tent at Bicktoberfest. They had some 1600's tricked out. I asked a lot of questions about their recommendations on mods for more hp. They recommended Thunder for air and V&H for pipes. They said to call Thunder and ask for their recomendations for the results you were looking for. 2 in 1's may develop the most power but not offer the sound you want.

They reved up a 1600 with Barons' mods that had the Thunder and V&H straight shots. Also had the Power Commander for re-map.

http://www.thundermfg.com/Pages/v1600.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts