Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
That's hilarious guys!

But I do agree with Hexadecimus that all 5 models would share a lot of parts, not 99.9% as claimed, of course, but there would be, or should be, a lot of common parts. Note the Euro model had belt drive vs chain.

In trying to help the OP, there is no way that off the top of my head I knew that all 5 models might have the exact same throttle body which is why I asked which model he had.

·
Administrator
4,149 Posts
Or read what I wrote. They're not different models. They're minor variations.
And why not read what I wrote what was "But I do agree with Hexadecimus that all 5 models would share a lot of parts, not 99.9% as claimed, of course, but there would be, or should be, a lot of common parts. Note the Euro model had belt drive vs chain."

Kawi sold and marketed them as models, albeit similar. I don't call belt drive a "minor variation" from chain drive, but if that fits your definition of "minor", I now understand where you are coming from.

·
Registered
732 Posts
In all honesty, after working for 3 different dealerships, variations are "Models' in motorcycle shops and those different models had different prices. Variations is more of the colloquial expression. Models is what the dealerships called them. You could never stock a bike by asking the person what "variation" of the bike did he have. If you asked what "Model", you got the Microfiche with all the appropriate parts, even if they shared the same parts. Having managed as many parts departments it was easy to see that they shared the same parts. A Yamaha 850 Standard clutch cable would not fit a Yamaha 850 Special clutch cable though, Those variations are why they named them different models. Even these days knowing which model you have will help you source parts for a vintage bike, much more than a than a variation of this or that. A Yamaha 650 clutch pushrod seal is the same dimensionly as a XS750 triple clutch pushrod seal. You use the XS750 seal, because it outlast the XS650 seal, even though they are dimensionally the same, the XS750 (1979) seal is made of better materials. Two different model bikes, with the same part in dimensions. Knowing the models and which parts are interchangeable with other models is the only way to look for parts. Knowing how to read the seal size numbers stamped on them helps too. Same with bearings. (not plain). :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts