Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in MD and yesterday was just nice enough to go on my second ride on the Vulcan, for what will likely be the last time in 2007. After a nice & relaxing 50 or so mile ride I got thinking about my bike buying experience. I bought the bike used, but before that I went to several dealers to see what I could find. In at least 3 occasions at different dealerships someone tell me what bikes I could outrun.

1) I was looking at a V900 and told the salesman that I rode my buddy's Harley Dyna, which got me thinking about getting back on a bike. His answer? This bike will outrun the Harley any day.

2) Was checking out the Yamaha V-star 1300. Told the salesman I was also looking at the V1500. His answer? You can outrun the vulcan with this one.

3) Was checking out a V900 and a V-star 1100 - Salesman tells me: The vulcan is FI. It'll outrun any V-1100 out there.

The problem is, I'm not interested in outrunning anybody. Maybe it's age, but I see this cruiser as a relax-mobile. If I see a bike up ahead or coming up behind me on a long country road I may want to pull up at the next stop sign and chat, but outrun?? I think I've outgrown it:mrgreen:

Besides, if shouldn't I have been looking at a meanstreak or sports type bike if outrunning was in my mind?

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Yeah, most of us are at an age where looking to out run someone is in the past. :lol: Sounded like the salesman was out to make a squid out of ya?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the V900 can help me outrun MY past???

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Go to the next, dealer look at something and tell him you are also looking at a turbocharged GSXR1300 and see if he says his bike will out run it. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ruger, I like that idea. Maybe I'll tell him I'm looking to downgrade because my vulcan keeps outrunning the GSXR1300s I see on the road.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Ruger, I like that idea. Maybe I'll tell him I'm looking to downgrade because my vulcan keeps outrunning the GSXR1300s I see on the road.
:lol: :lol:

I'm with you on this El Zorro, the only thing I want to outrun is some of those crazy drivers out there. If I wanted to outrun other bikes I would have a sportsbike and not a cruiser.

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
I just wanna getaway from 18 wheelers, and as many cagers as possible. I'll feel a lot safer with other bikes around me most of the time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My 800 has the problem of outrunning those **** ZX-14r's out there all the time :). Maybe I should just get one of those.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i went to a local dealer in the showroom i told a salesman i wanted that bike right there it was an 06 dark blue 900 classic,this was 8/07 the bike was an 06 i said whats the bottom line he 8,300 after everything i said i will think about it i went online on E--- AND found a dealer selling one for6,200 i told him to save me the blue one it was an 07!

·
Registered
85 Posts
6,700 with ins, reg,4 yr. warr.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I was looking online I saw a dealer in South Jersey selling the V900 for about 6300. There was also a dealer in Northern Delaware with equally low prices. This was October/November. I was looking for an LT though, and the only one of those selling at a discount were the black ones. Anyway, great deal for you. I hope you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I would not outrun another bike unless I have to pass and for safety reasons. I would rather outrun a cager a be left with a large gap in traffic infront and behind me. As others had mentioned, if I want to outrun everyone...I'd get myself a ZX-14 or a 'busa.

Always ride safe.

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Guess I'm in the minority again. I'm still a little competitive, even at 50 years of age. I love to twist the grip and in a group of riders that are twisting the grips with ferver, I like being the one in front...:smile:

So to answer the original question of the Thread, I'd LOVE to have the old V2K outrun an M109. :biggrin:

Won't happen, but it's a nice thought...:smile:

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
i ride a cruiser for cruising , if i want to outrun other motorcycles . i will buy another sports bike e.g ZX10R etc

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Weeell

I don't think any of those bikes could be accused of being speed demons. Who buys a cruiser to outrun anyone anyway?
I kinda have to admit that having an itty bitty wannabeabigbike, AND having it pass several of my Harley loving friends at top end IS fun! But, as long as it outruns my wife's "honey do" list, that's all I REALLY need!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
I kinda have to admit that having an itty bitty wannabeabigbike, AND having it pass several of my Harley loving friends at top end IS fun! But, as long as it outruns my wife's "honey do" list, that's all I REALLY need!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yeah!!! That's what I'm talking about. A little fun here and there. :smile:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts