Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my last mountain trip i was trying to notice what kind of camping gear folks were using
but was too busy ridin' :lol:

what kinds of tent,sleeping bags, and other camping stuff are you guys using?

mostly i'd like to know what kind of tents are being used and carried on a bike,some
looked like they came out of a cracker-jack box and then some looked way too much of
a PITA to set up and tear down.

i'll be camping in daytona this october so i need a good tent but one that i can carry on the bike-i've looked at a few but there are too many types and styles-i'm confused :oops:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Camping gear...

Hi Bikeaholic...

Every June I do a cross country or cross Canada or New England to Fla ride and try to tent-camp every night weather permitting. Tonight I will get makes and models of all the gear I use so you can go online and evaluate for yourself. Mule-pack it all on my 1500 Vulcan with no problems. Will tell you now however, that I use a small dome tent from Wenzel and an EMS candle lantern, both of which have proven themselves to be the best I have ever used in more than 30 years of biker-camping. The bag I use is a 3-season Holo-Fil from Cabela paired with an inflatable air mattress also from Cabela.

Will get model nos to you tonight.........

best regards....
Ernie in NH ( '95 Vulcan 1500 A-9 )

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re

perfect ernie!!

that's what i was hoping for, some "on the road" reviews :lol:

whatever i end up with is going to be USED so i need the real deal
the ones i saw at cheahaw were dome type some with vestibules but i don't need that.i'm thinking 5x7 floorspace should be adequate-what do you think?

i haven't talked to many distance riders on here so i look forward to your
recommendations.i have a T-bag and a good sleeping bag and maglights
but your latern info would be helpful also

you don't happen to hold a IRONBUTT patch do you?
with riding like that you could probably get one pretty easy!
we're planning a mexico to canada run (border to border in 24hrs)
in early fall of 2005 to earn mine - won't need a mulepack for that though :lol:

oh-and welcome and thanks for the help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question..??

Hi Mr. Moderator....

re: ""you don't happen to hold a IRONBUTT patch do you?
with riding like that you could probably get one pretty easy!
we're planning a mexico to canada run (border to border in 24hrs)
in early fall of 2005 to earn mine - won't need a mulepack for that though
""

... what is this all about ?? I've heard of the Iron Butt but never thought it was for real ! Could you clue me in ??

Thanks....

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
36 Posts
Travel/Camp Gear...for touring

Good morning..!!

I checked out the Iron Butt site and now I know its for real ! Seems the emphasis is on endurance..ie: Time and Distance. My long trips have been to see and absorb everything I could in the period of a month over the longest distances I could scribe out, and still get back to NH in time. I admire and respect he Iron Butt guys and gals..wish I could be one, but I like to stop, meet people, smell the roses while underway... not just drive by and wave. Thanks for clueing me in !!

Re my essential gear..( ie Tent, sleeping Bag, Pad, stove and Lantern )

Here are the URLs for each...

The stove I have is an older version of the same but from a company called Primus. In essence its identical. I use the stove only provide that first 2 cups of morning coffee, or to heat dried soups when I get rained in.

The tent is from Wenzel... excellent quality for the price, and the URL describes the same model ( with rain fly ) that I use. It packs light and the folded poles (3) will fit into my saddle bag.

The sleeping pad is self inflating with a very robust valve. I still blow into it just to give it a bit more "cushion"

The lantern candle will last a full 10 or 12 hours if burnt continuously, and many days if used only as required. In addition it has a small LED click on light built into the base for emergency runs to the latrene.

I couldn't find my SL-Bag listed any longer, but it is a Holo-Fil 3 season lightweight bag, with sewn in ground cloth, probably the same as yours! Also use a military surplus bag from Outdoor Guide made in Holland for colder weather. It is goose down filled however, and very messy !

Here are the URLs:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35350646&memberId=12500226

http://www.ems.com/navigation/subcategory.jsp;jsessionid=AidahPZ1nbtsjikANpc27tpKJ32csT3zeTTQKbMOzfNwl5YyBeE9!1455984140!174391830!7005!8005

http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442581620&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302853680&fromTemplate=navigation/subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1088593628161

http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442584176&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302160653&fromTemplate=products/product_detail.jsp&bmUID=1088594222108#specs

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005464810055a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0005464&catalogCode=QR&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

.... you may have to play with them a bit to eliminate any spaces..

Very best regards, ride safe !!

Ernie in NH ( VRA 1-0-1537A-1500N )

·
Registered
605 Posts
bikeaholic, I would love to do a canada to mexico run, if you start getting posts up about it now we would have a pretty good gathering, I live in denver, so it's only like 10 hours to canada I guess, since billings MO is only 6, I guesstimated the other four

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re

thanks for the help ernie :wink:

i have decided on the pine valley tent :D -looks like it will fit the bill perfectly
i'll order one right after the holiday and practice in the back yard :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ifin I was you I'd check out the Eureka http://www.eurekacamping.com/tents.asp line of tents before purchasing one. We have one purchased back in 92 or 93 & it's still going strong. We've camped in thunderstorms, ice storms, snow storms & wind storms (70mph steady) and came thrugh like a champ. I'd look at the new 2 man tents & see if you like what they have that you like. I'd personally either get a Timberline http://www.eurekacamping.com/timberline.asp , the new and improved Timberline XT http://www.eurekacamping.com/timblinext.asp or possibly the Backcountry Solo http://www.eurekacamping.com/backc.asp depending on exactly what you're needs are.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here's the tent we have. http://www.eurekacamping.com/equinox.asp It's been used from Kali to Iowa, Texas to Canada & in temps from 10* to 90* with 2 adults 2 kids & a rottie (now a Great Dane) & while it's a big sucker it's great & I'll not ever think twice about having to live in it for any kind of storm.

I've been looking at small tents as if I go on a fire dispatch (wildland fires) I'll need a tent & the one I will get (stocked locally) is the Timberline. It's cheap, easy to set up & best of al can weather any storm mother nature throws at it ifin you stake it down properly.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I forgot, get a good Therm-a-Rest http://www.thermarest.com/ pad. They are a tad pricey, but you can lay it over a dozzen golf balls & never feel them its so comfey. We have 2 of them along with a couple cheaper waffle pads for the kids & the Therm-a-Rest pads are excellent if you want a good night's sleep.

In hot climates I just use a couple poncho liners as a sleeping bag. Light but still warm enough when it get's chilly out. As for sleeping bags we have a couple big coleman ones & several GI issue mummy cold weather bags for when it's really cold out.

My biggest problem is all our camping was done out of the F-250 & we had tons of room for big bulky gear & now I've got to downsize for the bike. Still trying to figgure out how I can fit my ALICE pack on it 8) 8)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your camping gear...

Hi all

What RampRat recommended is good Quality stuff but for a bike, especially on a cross country, you have to pay attention to 'packing volume and weight, plus price plays a role too. Ive used Wentzel since the quality of fabrication is high and the price is 30% (made in Pakistan) or so of the bigger brand names. Even though I dont camp on 'golf balls' a really good matress, as RampRat says, makes the next days ride a pleasure and not a chore... however the 'higher tech" and smaller light packing models which are self inflating are a must. I mentioned before that I use a candle lamp with an LED click-out in the base which is just great, especially when charged with a citronella candle. The thing is only 5" long and only 2 " in diameter...packs anywhere and is very durable. Campmor sells these as does EMS, Cabella and others. Anything more than this is 'overkill'.

Another "MUST" for most people is a good high quality multi-band radio receiver, along with many extra batteries, in order to keep abreast of changing weather. I have been told that Grundig is the best for this purpose and alos the smallest. Since I am deaf however, a radio is of little use so I try to camp in places where some form of weather information can be viewed in text form. ( not always possible )..

Wanted to mention in passing however, that the inexpensive little Wentzel tent of mine has held up to a pre-tornado blast in Murdo SD when many others on either side of it collapsed and were sent sailing.

Also forgot to mention that EMS sells their own brand of spray on reconditioner for 'rip stop' materials that you should seal your tent with at the beginning of every season. I have thrown my spent can of this out and cant give you the name, but I'm sure you can find it or some equivalent.

Just wanted to add another 2 cents here, not a rebuttal.

Best wishes to everyone for a GREAT July 4th celebration...especially to our soldiers overseas who I hope will be back soon and riding the roads along with the rest of us ! I know all of us appreciate their service and want them safe home !

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
272 Posts
Howdy Ernie 8) Love to hear different prespectives as I can & have learned tons here.

I "learned" how to camp in the USAF since I was Security Forces (retired after 20 years) & part of our job is base defense. You have a ALICE ruck & that's it to live out of. Everything I had had to be humped in on my back & I learned what was & was not important. Several times I had more ammo (yes, the USAF does issue live ammo) than food, water & shelter combined. My web gear alone weighed over 35 pounds & that was "just" with 240 rds of 5.56 ammo a Randall knife,2 empty canteens, 1 stripped down MRE, some trip flares, pair of socks a sleeping shirt, weapons cleaning kit & a few other "toys" and poggy bait (beef jerky)

One serious "camping trip" was on Okinawa & we set up "camp" after a 9 mile march with only what we carried. Then we got hit with a Typhoon & several guys got hyperthermic & trench hand/foot from all the water. I stayed warm & dry due to not using the issued shelter 1/2 with a budy, but a couple poncho's & bungie cords as a shelter.

I personally value quality and comfort over price. I'd much rather have a excellent night sleep than a cold wet one. Thus I always buy the highest quality camping good's I can. Besides, I'm getting old & it's hard sleeping on the cold wet ground any more :p

Therm-a-rest pads are extremly light & can roll up so small you can almost fit them in a pocket. Even the cheaper tents can take quite a beating if you stake them down properly. However, after a while the cheaper ones will begin to get wet inside as the tent fabric itself get's saturated & allows mosture inside the tent.

Yes a radio is also an extremly valuable tool. I have a rather large shortwave radio I took around the world with me (learned that trick from a Britt SAS guy) as some of the places I've been short wave was the only source ov "real" news & music. Grundig is the best short wave radio manufacture in the world. However, Radio Shack sells cheap small compact weather radios that would be fine stateside for the most part.

One thing I really like is the "new" Krill light http://www.kriana.com/ we have several of them & I took them with me my last few trips overseas. For their size they are extremly bright & while it's hard to read with them you can do anything else.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
re

well its good to know there is some camping expertise around here :lol:

your input is valuble and appreciated :wink: i prolly should've have explained
my needs better:

the wenzel pricing IS fantanstic,the history of the company is valid
i really like the "tub floor" design for strength at that seam.
weight IS a concern-i like my bikes fast :lol: less wt=better

i can sleep under a rock comfortably :lol: i will sacrifice a little comfort
for compactness.emergency gear and communications gear is done,as i'm in the marine business (EPIRB's and SATPX)take care of that.

really shelter is my last need-we have some trips planned that won't have
cozy cabins with porches and fireplaces :lol: i have looked at so many,
in person and online but i need it by september and to be proficent
with it-still have a few more to look at :roll: but i'm leaning towards
wenzel and price is tempting-and design features are good

thanks guys for the links :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good morning !!

Mornin' all...

Mornin' RampRat...

Rebuttal..: One is never too old to ride however !!

Comment : ""As ol' Woodrow would say, " I hate rude behaviour in a man. I won't tolerate it "

Glad to see someone else is a Lonsome Dove fan as well.! If you're a "Westerns" fan also, TNT airs "Cross-fire Trail" tonight. Happy to see that Tom Selick, Kevin Costner, Sam Elliott, and a handful of others are keeping the cowboy ledgend alive.

Have a great 4th everyone... it's 6:00 am here now and I'm going to ride up to Sherbrooke Que. today and then east and back down through Maine.. Should be a nice day!

best regards.......

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ernie, I've actually got 2 Cross-fire Trail DVD's & the wife has a custom made hat exactly like the one Tom Selick wore in the movie. Not to mention my hat is a exact copy (Custom hand made) of Gus's hat in Lonsome Dove 8) 8) 8)

Right now we have the 4th largest Cowboy shoot (SASS) going on in town & it's a hoot :p

I love having a Cabella's 100 miles down the road :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi RampRat...

Sorry.............. gave you a bum-steer.! Last night on TNT was not "Cross-fire Trail", but rather "Monte Walsh" ! Both were/are great however, could watch them a zillion times each. The West is our American History, some of it is despicable such as the US failure to honor its treaties with Native Americans and the eradication of whole cultures of decent indiginous peoples strictly to appease the greedy Euro-whites.... But some, like the spirit and grit of the american cowboy, under the most adverse of conditions, is the fabric from which this nation has been sewn.! I just love these westerns, but still I wish there was also more factual filmed history from the American Indian side expressing native-American points of view... we could have learned so much !!

Good luck...

Ernie in NH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts