Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much decided on the Ninja500/EX500 as my first bike. From what I've read, the Ninja500 was created in 1993. So over the past 12 model years, what significant changes have been made? Basically I just want to see if I can buy (for example) the 2001 Ninja500 and it will have all the same features as the 2005. Also, when was the Ninja500R introduced, and does the "R" mean anything?

If the Ninja500 has a built in center and side stand, does that mean I won't have to buy one of those rear wheel stands when for when my bike is in storage?

thanks for helping out a n00b!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
from what ive seen they made VERY few changes.
and yes you wont need the rear stand but it could make things a bit more convienent at times.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
the 1994+ models are 99.9% identical. I'm sure there have been a few emission changes, but they are almost completely identical.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aww but you like it

I think 94 was the year they went to 17" rims, But really paint and graphics are the only thing thats changed from year to year. Any used one you find thats a few years old is going to be asking almost as much as a new one. Least thats how it was around here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The big change came in '94 when the name was changed to Ninja 500R, it got 17" wheels instead of 16", the front disc flipped from the left side to the right, the rear drum brake was changed to a rear disc, the gearing when a little lower for better gas mileage at the expense of a little power, and the fairings-mirrors-lights changed to a new look. There were a few other little changes, but the frame and engine have been the same throughout the 18 year run. Since '94 the bike has been the same, with the exception of Kawi removing the hazard lights sometime around 2000, I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts